help me out guys!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
StephanieMarie

Post by StephanieMarie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:50 pm

i posted before and i guess no one wants to respond? i would really appreciate it!

im 19 & been going through anxiety for a while and recently went on medication (citalopram 20mg) and feel way less anxious but still struggling with the anxious/scary thoughts. they seem to come randomly and i just wish i could find some way to squash them completely...
the thought thats been bugging me the most is the thought of hurting my little sister, who i love more than anything.
my therapist thinks i have this thought because she is someone i care about the most and the anxiety will stur up the most when thinking about that.
i just wish there was a way to better/lessen this feeling, i feel like im gunna turn into a crazy killer/molester/psycho.
anyone ever feel this?

i keep trying to tell myself that its just anxiety but that doesnt seem to work...

id appreciate any feedback everyone.

thanks

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 am

StephanieMarie:
There is a thread about those kind of thoughts up above. It is the OCD thread I think.
And just above this thread you will see some posts by Ninjafroda. He has given some good advice about coping with these things.
I read on here all the time that these are just thoughts caused by anxiety. You won't act on these thoughts. That is all they are - just thoughts.
I, myself have had lots of depression but didn't suffer too much with those kind of OCD
thoughts but I did wwant you to get an aswer here.
There are many people on here who have suffered with that. And i know that they will assure you that you'll be fine. You aren't going to hurt anyone.
So keep reading on here.
take care.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:57 am

I suffer from those thoughts too. Briar is right, check out some of the forum topics on here that have some great advice. You will see you are not alone. The fact that you feel so upset and anxious about those thoughts is the best sign that you clearly never want to act on them. My OCD therapist says " the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior" You've never acted on thoughts like these, you wont now.

Also take comfort, you cannot think yourself crazy, but you can think yourself into more anxiety. But check out the topic " take heart in thoughts of hurting others"

thers some great advice in that one and some helpful links.

Most of us can obsess at anytime, but often it is when we have a lot of time on our hands. Get busy and use some of that anxious energy to get things done. Remember everyone has those thoughts, people who are not obsessive thinkers simply shrug them off. That is the only difference.

Take care

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:33 pm

thanks for the response Briarpatch and EddyJ, i appreciate the advice!

ive looked around and read alot of diffeent stories on this site and i do feel comfort knowing others have the same symptoms, yet it is still hard to deal with entirely.
i feel if i continue to go to therapy and work on my positivity it will bring me to the light entirely.
i was diagnosed with anxiety a few years ago, my therapist said it is episodic, since it has not been constant for me.
im just hoping this is a stage towards the end of my recovery and i continue to grow.

may i ask what you guys find most useful with the obsessive thoughts?

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Well Steph,

What helps me is the comfort that I am not the only one that has those kinds of thoughts.

I found that I obsess more on my days off because in my mind I would think, well now i have no distractions "what if I obsess all day?"

Lesson 13 in the program is about structuring your time so that you are more productive. My therapist also has me making a schedule the night before each day of things that I want to do. She recommends that nothing be written in stone, and for me to be flexible. I have seen a steady reduction in my anxiety and obsession.

She also said, when I begin to obsess, think to myself, " If I was not obsessing right now, what would i be doing? cleaning my room? painting? cooking? OK, despite the thoughts let's go do that." You will change your focus and it helps.

Most importantly accepting the thoughts for what they are and letting them be there helps a lot too. thought blocking isn't very effective or me. I allow the thoughts and continue to get things done. Even if I have thoughts all day, if they did not keep me from getting things done I don't feel like they have any control over me. They won't keep me from avoiding things. I feel less depressed or anxious about them.

But we all have our ups and downs, it is good you are going to therapy. Great job with the attitude as well. That will take you very far.

You always have the folks in these forums too and that helps as well.

:)

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”