doctor's words got me doubting myself

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
1blessedg

Post by 1blessedg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

i went to the GI dr today for my acid reflux. he said that i had level 3 out of 4 acid reflux so it's pretty bad. anyways he said that he needed to look down my throat to get a better look. this requires putting me to sleep which freaks me out. i told him that i have anxiety of being put to sleep. he wanted to know all about my anxiety so i told him. he basicaly told me that in his honest humble opinion he thinks i need meds. oh how mad and doubtful i became. i haven't had a panic attack in over 2 years and never took meds cause they made me worse, i go to therapy 1 a week, i struggle with heights, and meds, and when i get really stressed the scary thoughts of hurting my children kick in. over all i thought i was doing good. i can identify when the thoughts come (the scary ones)that it's just anxiety sometimes they still can freak and frustrate me but i thought i was doing ok. he then tells me that i will never recover from this without the pills. i'm so confused and losing hope that all the hard work that i do will never get me completly better..

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:20 am

Hello:
It certainly dosn't hurt to get a second opinion.
Years ago, in the early 90;s I was told by a doctor that I'd always have to be on meds.
In fact he assured me that I'd never be 'well'.

Well, the truth was that I wasn't even doing well on the meds he was shoving doen my throat

But that is beside the point.
Tje facts are that I'm not taking any of those kinds of meds at all. And I am feeling well.

There are many doctors who are sincere in this type thinking.
And it is okay to take something if you need it.
Many people do need help with medication. I certainly did for awhile.
However, you might not need meds. When I was on meds I didn't know anything about this program.
I'm not pro or con about meds.

But I do know that some doctors may not be right.
So I am not giving admive.
I'm just trying to encourage you that you may very well be okay without the drus.
I would say don't panic about it. And if you can,get some other opinions on it.
Continue to work this program.
Wishing the very best for you.
MaryJane

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:23 am

Excuse typing errors above.
I'm not seeing extra well today. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:22 pm

absolutely agree with Cornflower. get a second opinion. and also, hes a doctor. not a psychiatrist. i think sometimes doctors are trained to think that shoving meds down our throats is always the answer, and sometimes it is and sometimes it isnt. best to do your research and find out what works for you.

Second of all, hes human. and we all have different knowledge levels, and work experience levels and life experience levels that make who we are and what our opinions are.
What im saying is that...he had an opinion. and its just that, an opinion. opinions are not always right. His life experiences led him to that opinion. but it doesnt hurt to have a bigger wealth of options...which brings us back to...get more than one opinion.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”