please someone reply!!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
erica08

please someone reply!!

Post by erica08 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:33 pm

I have been suffering from extreme panic attacks and anxiety ever since i could remember. I am 22 and it has gotten a little better but not by much. Recently i have been having scary thoughts about hurting my loved ones or pets. I don't know why this pops in my head. I try to shake it away but it keeps coming back. I feel like something is wrong with me. Well about two days ago i was going to test myself. I put my hands around my dogs throat and i told myself if something was wrong with me i would choke her. I got this idea from a show i watched. But instead of a dog a therapist made her patient put a knife on her throat and made her hold it there. She did and nothing happened she didn't get hurt. so i thought this would maybe put my head to ease. I never did hurt my dog her but i still kept testing myself and then i would get depressed and sleep to try not to think about this. the whole time i was doing this i wasn't shaking or sweating. I just felt extremely mad with myself for constantly doing this and knowing i wasnt going to do anything. yet i kept testing myself. what i want to know has anyone experienced this? is this normal?? Im scared and feel like there might be something wrong with me....

THH

Re: please someone reply!!

Post by THH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Erica,
Just read you post, and I was wondering if you have this program? If so what session are you on? There is a hole session on scary thoughts. I have done the program several times and get more out of it each time I have been through it.
There is a coaching area too. So if you need a Stress Center coach they will help you too. Post your question to them.

I know about scary thoughts too, not with my pets, but in many other ways. We are creative thinkers and for me what has helped is to look at them as just thoughts. Do something to get your mind off those thoughts, dwelling on them is a obsession. Your not going to do these things, they are not real, you are just scaring yourself with them. Try to hug your pets instead, give them a treat or try and teach them a new trick.
Hope this helps in some way :D

coach21

Post by coach21 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Erica,

Couldn't help respond to your post in that scary thughts of which you described were one of my more challenging symptoms of anxiety. As per "don't know why this pops in my head..". Reality is there is a plethora of research to support the fact that all humans get spontaneous, obscure, weird thoughts that occaionally "pop in our head". Those prone to anxiety however were born very sensitive and analytical. These are great traits to have but when used in a counterproductive manner creates anxiety for ourselves. As per "try to shake it away but it keeps coming back..". Reality is their is no "it". All we are talking about are obscure automatic thoughts. When we refer to anxiety, ie scary thoughts, as "it" we create an entity. In other words we create a boogeyman that is not real ie "it keeps coming back...". All we are talking about are obscure automatic thoughts. Very normal. Our initial reaction is to eliminate or stop thinking these thoughts but what happens when we try not to think of these sunset? We think of the sunset. It's the paradox of human control. Attempting not to think of these thoughts just leads to variations of the thoughts themselves. As per "feel like something is wrong with me...". What happens is we respond irrationally to these thoughts by establishing and reinforcing alot of false conclusions about ourselves. ie "I must be crazy" "I must be pathological" ect.. We then bombard ourselves with irrational what if's "what if I loose control?" "What if I follow through with these thoughts?" ect.. inserting question marks where God put periods. We then personalize these thoughts by irrationally concluding that these thoughts represent us in some way and we become frustrated ie "get depressed and sleep to try to not think about this..." mad with myself....". (Depression defined as anger/frustration turned inward). Reality is the mere fact you recognized these thoughts as irrational is pure evidence of you sanity. Those who do follow through are diagnosed as pathological and certainly aren't on a website reaching out for help complaining of the thoughts themelves.

As per "put hand around dogs throat....kept testing myself". I identify with how you feel because I did the same thing. You engaged in a comon practice reffered to as "exposure therapy". Thats when we expose ourselves to stimuli in an effort to desesitize. Doing this without the necessary foundation of knowledge however just leads to more frustration/anxiety. When building a house it critical we establish a solid foundation to build upon.

As per "has anyone experienced this?" Yes Erica. I have. I've also successfully eliminated the anxiety, frustration and depression associated with these thoughts. Our goal is not to eliminate the thoughts cause everyone gets weird thoughts; rather our goal is to eliminate the depression, anxiety and frustration associated with these thoughts. I'm employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and have helped many help themselves reach this goal. Fee free to e-mail me through this website or directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com. I have alot of resources and knowledge to share. God bless and hope to hear from you soon.

coach21

Post by coach21 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Erica,

Couldn't help respond to your post in that scary thughts of which you described were one of my more challenging symptoms of anxiety. As per "don't know why this pops in my head..". Reality is there is a plethora of research to support the fact that all humans get spontaneous, obscure, weird thoughts that occaionally "pop in our head". Those prone to anxiety however were born very sensitive and analytical. These are great traits to have but when used in a counterproductive manner creates anxiety for ourselves. As per "try to shake it away but it keeps coming back..". Reality is their is no "it". All we are talking about are obscure automatic thoughts. When we refer to anxiety, ie scary thoughts, as "it" we create an entity. In other words we create a boogeyman that is not real ie "it keeps coming back...". All we are talking about are obscure automatic thoughts. Very normal. Our initial reaction is to eliminate or stop thinking these thoughts but what happens when we try not to think of these sunset? We think of the sunset. It's the paradox of human control. Attempting not to think of these thoughts just leads to variations of the thoughts themselves. As per "feel like something is wrong with me...". What happens is we respond irrationally to these thoughts by establishing and reinforcing alot of false conclusions about ourselves. ie "I must be crazy" "I must be pathological" ect.. We then bombard ourselves with irrational what if's "what if I loose control?" "What if I follow through with these thoughts?" ect.. inserting question marks where God put periods. We then personalize these thoughts by irrationally concluding that these thoughts represent us in some way and we become frustrated ie "get depressed and sleep to try to not think about this..." mad with myself....". (Depression defined as anger/frustration turned inward). Reality is the mere fact you recognized these thoughts as irrational is pure evidence of you sanity. Those who do follow through are diagnosed as pathological and certainly aren't on a website reaching out for help complaining of the thoughts themelves.

As per "put hand around dogs throat....kept testing myself". I identify with how you feel because I did the same thing. You engaged in a comon practice reffered to as "exposure therapy". Thats when we expose ourselves to stimuli in an effort to desesitize. Doing this without the necessary foundation of knowledge however just leads to more frustration/anxiety. When building a house it critical we establish a solid foundation to build upon.

As per "has anyone experienced this?" Yes Erica. I have. I've also successfully eliminated the anxiety, frustration and depression associated with these thoughts. Our goal is not to eliminate the thoughts cause everyone gets weird thoughts; rather our goal is to eliminate the depression, anxiety and frustration associated with these thoughts. I'm employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and have helped many help themselves reach this goal. Fee free to e-mail me through this website or directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com. I have alot of resources and knowledge to share. God bless and hope to hear from you soon.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”