why do we have scary thoughts?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
dannyv26

why do we have scary thoughts?

Post by dannyv26 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:54 am

If we don't want scary thoughts then why do we have them? Why do they pop out in our minds? Does this mean we don't have control of our thoughts? Cause I can be watching TV and out of no where a scary thought pops out without me thinking it? It is another voice telling me? Could I already be crazy? Why do thoughts pop out? I don't understand... If we beat ourselfs up and we don't want to why do we?

bob p

Re: why do we have scary thoughts?

Post by bob p » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

hey danny, i know your pain. you are NOT by any means crazy. i think we have them because of some underlying problem. it could be a fear or something that happened in your childhood or something that is happening in your life right now. i truly believe if we can not fear these thoughts and not be embarrassed about them they would just go away. try and stick with the program and talk with someone you can really trust and talk it out with them. i bet that would take a lot of the fear and anxiety out of it for you. keep going danny we can get through this. bob p

coach21

Post by coach21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Hey Danny,

Couldn't help responding to your post in that I asked myself the same questions years ago when struggling with scary thoughts. Through my journey with anxiety I believe I've answered alot of these questions:
1) As per "why do we have them....why do they (scary thoughts) pop into our minds?". First of all their is no "them". I know your reffering to scary thoughs but when we refer to scary thoughts as "them" or "it" we irrationally create an entity or our own boogeyman which is not reality. All we are talking about are obscure automatic thoughts. Much like our digestive system our brain digests everything i.e. disturbing movies, news articles, video games, television shows, ect.. Consequently we'll have a thought pop up for no apprent reason. Their is ample research supporting the fact that all humans get unintended, intrusive, spontaneous thoughts.

2) "Does this mean we have no control over our thoughts?" I guess a better question would be "Do we possess the ability to control our reaction to these thoughts?" Absolutely! As previously stated all humans get spontaneous thoughts however, we possess the ability to control our reactions to any obscure, irrational, intrusive thought. This is the key.

3) As per "Is it another voice telling me?" Those who hear other voices are diagnosed as schizophrenic and unaware that they are hearing these voices. Reality is the fact you recognized these thoughts as irrational serves as pure evidence you are of sound mind.

4) "Could I be crazy?" Again, those who are "crazy" are unaware that they are crazy. The mere fact that you asked yourself that question serves as more evidence to support the fact that you are of sound mind.

5) As per "If we beat ourselves up and we don't want to why do we?" When we begin to respond irrationally to these obscure thoughts we tend to ask ourselves alot of bad questions ie ""Am I crazy?". We further establish and reinforce alot of false conclusions about ourselves as well ie "Is it another voice telling me?" We irrationally conclude that these thoughts represent us in some way and tend to personalize these thoughts. Reality is these thoughts don't represent us in the slightest bit and all we are talking about is anxiety. Nothing more.

Our initial response is to attempt to eliminate these thoughts but what happens when we try not to think of these sunset? We think of the sunset. Attempting to block our scary thoughts just leads to variations of the thoughts themselves. It's the paradox of human control. (see white bear experiement). Our goal shouldn't be to elimiante the thoughts be casue all humans get thoughts of this nature. Our goal is to eliminate the anxiety, depression and frustration associated these thoughts.

Those prone to anxiety are sensitive and analytical. Two great traits but sometimes when we use these traits in a counterproductive manner it results in anxiety. Having strugled with this symptom of anxiety I have experienced the anxiety, depression and frustration associated with these thoughts. Through recovery however, I have experienced the renewed self confidence in eliminating the anxiety, depression and frustration assocaite with these thoughts. Through being employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com I've learned this symptom of anxiety is very common. Feel free to e-mail me anytime through this site or directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com. Through my journey of anxiety I've learned alot about this particualr symptom of anxiety and have alot to share. I hope this response helps Danny. Take care.

mtassinari

Post by mtassinari » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks coach21 for the detailed insight, I will probably be coming back to your post after/during an obsessive episode to keep things in perspective.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”