flood of strange thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
mack

flood of strange thoughts

Post by mack » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Obsessive thoughts has been easily the hardest thing for me to deal with though all of this. I work with books by Clair Weeks on how to accept them and let them pass. Well lately it's like my mind is just trying to defeat me. I get over one just to have another weird though, which i knew was coming, but it seems all i seem to have are weird thoughts. As i understand it it doesn't matter what they are if you just understand this is a manifestation of a fatigued mind and accept that you will have weird thoughts for a while, but they will pass if you react to them without anxiety. I feel i can do that when it's just one or two obsessions, but i'm so stuck in my head right now it seems every thought is absurd and strange. I've never worked so hard at trying to deal with this the right way and I just seem to get even more stuck in my head and have more obsessions. I am stressed from being unemployed and lonely a lot, but i've been here before and never had quite this much introspection. I will continue to do the work i need to to get better, but would love to hear anyone's input on how i'm having so many weird thoughts. Maybe my mind is fighting to hold on to something it has done so long, that it is reacting to how i am accepting these thoughts and throwing all it has at me till i succumb to despair and hopelessness again? I don't know and that's hard for me, as i gather it is with most of us who deal with this shit! Well, i hope everyone on here can find some peace, if just for a moment. Take Care

meluv3

Re: flood of strange thoughts

Post by meluv3 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Mack! I get the obsessive thoughts too ... mine are usually health related and it seems like as soon as I get over one, another one comes up ... and then another ... and so it goes. I have just started reading Claire Weekes too!! I am by no means an expert, but I think what she is trying to get at is let the thoughts come and don't let 'em bother you. Let them be there, acknowledge them and then let time pass. Don't fight them or get mad at them. I tried this before and it helped (I think I need to do it much more though!) - if you are having an obsessive thought - write it out and then counter it with truth and something positive. Maybe put it on a 3x5 card and carry it with you ... you may have a stack of cards depending on how many obsessive thoughts you get, but it could help. Hang in there ... there are so many of us struggling to get to the other side of this thing. I think the keep is acceptance and patience ... sounds easy, but I know it is NOT!

ropersue

Post by ropersue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Mack:

I am still struggling with the obsessive, what if thoughts, I have seen a therapist, and he says it is normal. I just need to change my thinking. I know they all say it is easy, but it isn't. I was doing awesome with the program and was even off my anti dep, until one of our close family friends sons hung him self. Then it set me off with the what if's. They got as bad as what if I lost it and did something stupid like the little boy did, like hung or hurt, or shot myself. My biggest fear is WHAT IF I LOSE CONTROL OF MY MIND. But after thinking and talking, I know that I am not going to do this. Because it is a what if. But I have noticed that when negative things happen, even such as a head cold, I get sooo worried, and I go into panic mode. I am now back on my anti dep, and they are helping, they are allowing me to realize that I can use my program skills. It has been nice. I have noticed the obsessive thoughts seem to go as fast as they come if I don't give them any thought, I also have began using the word STOP when they enter my mind. I hope that helps!

:)

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 am

Hey Mack,

You're doing the right thing by allowing the thoughts to be there. It sounds like your brain is "rebelling" against your attempt to break your habit. We definitely can't overstate the fact that obsessive thinking is a bad habit, and just like any habit, your brain wants to stick with it because it's what it's used to.

Distraction is something that is key to people like us - HEALTHY distraction. We need things that take our minds off of our obsessive, non-productive thinking and onto things that we CAN control and that help us to reach a goal.

Maybe what you need is a brainstorming session. Write down some cool things that you are interested in and would like to pursue as new hobbies. If you're spiritual at all, I would definitely recommend praying and asking God to show you what His plan is for your life. This helps me.

This has to be the hardest part of anxiety. Breaking this habit is really difficult. I am still working on it. But I have learned some really awesome skills and am slowly but surely working to overcome this bad habit of obsessive thinking. You can do it too!!

God bless!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”