OVERCOMING OBSESSIVE HARMFUL THINKING

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
coach21

OVERCOMING OBSESSIVE HARMFUL THINKING

Post by coach21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Have you ever had intrusive thoughts of harming yourself or loved ones that you cannot seem to control? Have you avoided certain people or situations for fear you'll act on these thoughts? Have you attempted to rid these thoughts which only resulted in variations of the thoughts themselves and increased anxiety and depression? Are you reluctant to share these thoughts with anyone for fear they'll think your not thinking correctly?

All people have irrational thoughts of this nature without any intended purpose. Everyone at some point for example has experienced road rage when another person is driving their vehicle erratically. Those prone to anxiety however were born a little more sensitive and analytical than the norm. For example, a mother or father watching a distrubing news story involving a parent harming their child, poses the question to themselves "How could a person carry out such a horrible act?". Being sensitive to this type of negative stimuli he or she follows this question up with a series of irrational questions "Could I ever be capable of something like that?" "How could I consider a question like that?" literally thinking themselves into a downward spiral of debilitating anxiety, depression and despair.

Being uniformed about anxiety the individual establishes irrational conclusions about themselves "thee must be something wrong with me because I'm having these thoughts" "I must be going crazy" "I must be losing control". He or she in turn naturally attemptes to repress these thoughts which leads to variations of the thoughts themselves. She then engages in "emotional reasoning". Reasoning about how he or she feels further establishing and reinforcing irrational reactions to these thoughts "I feel like I'm going crazy therefore I must be going crazy". They ultimately plant seeds of belief in these thoughts planting question marks where God put periods. They irrationally conclude that these thoughts pertain to themselves in someway and are filled with guilt "I am a horrible person for having thoughts like these" "I must be a horrible person".

I have expereinced the feeling of anxiety, depression, despair and frustration associated with these irrational thoughts discussed above. However, through the techniques of cognitive thinking and emotional disciple I have successfully eliminated the anxiety, depression and despair associated with these thoughts. Know that God has the resources in your path to fully re-establish your confidence. It's our job to put action behind our faith. God bless and keep pressing forward.

ctr

Re: OVERCOMING OBSESSIVE HARMFUL THINKING

Post by ctr » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi Coach21.

I have been dealing with obsessive scary thinking since 2009. My fears are always changing, but they are always centered around going crazy. I am constantly analyzing my thoughts, feelings, reactions, relationships, etc. I think of how I feel at the moment and I try to compare it to how I felt in the past. If I feel any different, than what has happened to me?? Why do I feel different. I go in a circle and it seems like I just confuse myself more and more as time goes on. I'm so fearful that this will turn into something serious. I think I'm just getting depressed over it already. I just want it to be over already. I have periods that I feel great. I had a job for 8 months where I was always getting positive feedback re: my work, and I felt great. No anxiety!! I left that job for a job closer to home, and I get absolutely no feedback and I feel so much pressure, so that hasn't helped me. When I read some of the posts here, it makes me feel better and it can usually get me out of a rut, but after a few days I start asking myself if I'm going to fall into the anxious thoughts again, and sure enough I take myself there again. This is very emotionally draining. This is such a waste of time, life, youth, . . . I have started the program, but not gotten very far. I have also tried coaching before for a short period only. Is this normal???? Can this turn into something serious?I think it's starting to affect my relationship with my oldest daughter because I'm so irritable all the time. Please help.

coach21

Post by coach21 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey CTR,

I too thought I was "going crazy" when in the throes of anxiety. Reality is the mere fact that you posed that question to yourself is pure evidence supporting the fact that you are of sound mind. Individuals who are "crazy" are unaware that they are. As per " fearful this will turn into something serious..". Based on what you have shared all we are talking about is anxiety. Alot of times we will irrationally reason from how we feel. We feel crazy therefore we bombard ourselves with alot of irrational "what if's" just resulting in more anxiety. I can identify with how you feel because I thought myself into circle of anxiety. As per "periods I feel great...." I know from experience that I am not immune to my old ways of reacting. Especially during times of stress. Through these growth spurts I created a continuing care program and support system which I rely on daily. As per "Is this normal?". Yes. Based on my personal experience and that of a coach of the StressCenter.com I've found that we often suffer from "good health bad memory". We make strides and quit doing what we did to get there. Subsequently we begin to react in old ways. The brain is like any other organ in your body in that we need to create a program that will help develop and sustain emotional muscle. Keep pressing forward CTR. Your a success happening. God bless

ropersue

Post by ropersue » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 am

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who has these thoughts and fears of going "crazy". I am so glad to know that my thoughts are just anxiety ridden thoughts. And most of the time the scary thoughts seem silly to me, for example the latest scary thought is "what if I loose my mind and while using scissors or a knife I harm my self?" I look at that thought and just think, how silly. I have wanted a tattoo for a few years, and am to big of a wimp to go get one because I can't deal or handle pain well. I however, notice that when I focus on the thought it stays longer then when I let it go. I have realized though, when around certain people, my anxiety is more at ease. My husband is a great person that I have in life, he is so sweet to listen to me, and allow me to talk through my thoughts. However, when I try to open up to my mom, she makes me feel that I am horrible, and depressed. I have discussed depression with my dr.and was on anti dep for a year and a half and he took me off this past month. I have been doing awesome, until this past Friday when I found out that a family friend's son hung him self. I then had the scary thought, with the scissors.After finally learning why he did it, I find that I think the reason is sad, that he felt he couldn't repent of his sins, being LDS my self. But I have worked through it, I prayed about it to heavenly father, and because I have such a great relationship with him, I gave my scary thoughts to him. He is always a great listener, and has comforted me in many ways. :D

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am

That's awesome Ropersue! So glad to hear that you were able to hand it over to God. :) Great advice on this thread! So much of the key to getting over these thought is just recognizing them for what they are. Then you take their power away!

coach21

Post by coach21 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Hey Ropersue,

As per "When I open up to my mom....." Through dealing with this symptom of anxiety myself and coaching others I've found it's best to share this symptom with a responsible ear; someone who could provide guidance, support and understanding. Your mother has never experienced this symptom of anxiety so she's inacpable of providing guidance. Consulting with her may only aggravated your symptoms in that you'll ask yourself more bad questions. Analogous to someone with spinal stenosis seeking advice from someone who has never been diagnosed with spinal stenosis; it's impossible to offer guidance and support. God bless your husband for his support. E-mail anytime.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”