What To Do When Driving Far Away? Help!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
scaredxtoxdeath

What To Do When Driving Far Away? Help!

Post by scaredxtoxdeath » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello,
I have anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. I am to the point where I don't drive anymore. It used to be that if I was the only one driving in my car alone, I could go anywhere, because no one would see me freak out. Now its that I can't drive at all, except about 30 minutes from home, by myself...my fiance has to drive me. I feel like I will just loose control, get sick, not be able to get back home, etc...
This weekend I promised my parents we would go to the bay, 3-3 1/2 hours away, because we are helping them move into their new bay house that they bought and they need us, I can't just say no or my parents (my dad especially) would be extremely disapointed in me, and hes not afraid to tell me about it either! I am terrified, and other people are going which I dont like. I know I am supposed to work on my limitations...but my question is...I know you are supposed to put yourself in uncomfortable situations slowly and teach yourself step by step that it is okay and then remove yourself from the situation if need be...how do I remove myself from 3 hours away from home???!!!!! I can't just go home quick if I start to loose it. The further from home I am the more scared I am because I can't just leave and go home, I feel trapped. How do I handle feelings like this? please help!!!!!

ninadancer

Re: What To Do When Driving Far Away? Help!

Post by ninadancer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 pm

I feel just like you do...I used to be able to drive anywhere alone for the same reasons...Plus I could leave whenever I wanted and didnt have to make excuses...Did you explain to your family how you are feeling? Do they know about your anxiety and agoraphobia? I have found that by being open and honest about my "issues" people have been very understanding if I cant go somewhere, or if I have to leave somewhere in a split second...It came down to them either thinking I was a jerk and being unsociable ( by not telling them) or have them feel sorry for me...I chose to have them feel sorry for me which isnt entirely all bad....People can be very understanding if you give them the chance, even if they dont know a whole lot about anxiety and agoraphobia.....With that said, what I usually do if I have to go somewhere is prepare myself at least a day before...I read my Dr. Claire Weekes book, do Lucinda's relaxation CD, and then I go on youtube and do a search for relaxation music...I take along my "emergency kit" which is snacks for low blood sugar, bottled water, cell phone, xanax, anti-anxiety books, paper bag for hyperventilation, anti-anxiety cd's, and I make sure I know where the closest hospitals are...The only stuff I have really used are the snacks , water and cell phone. The other things are just crutches and make me feel better to know they are there "just in case"... If you feel like you are going to lose it, remember it wont last forever and you can go into the bathroom with your books and shut the door for a while...Turn on the shower so they think you are washing up! You are safe no matter how far from home you are - but I know totally how you feel...Sometimes I just cant get home quick enough...There is nothing that compares to the feeling of accomplishment when you have been away from home - especially if you worked through some tough times and proved to yourself that your anxiety wont hurt you...It feels like crap, but it passes, and each time you dont let it control you, you will get stronger!!

Blessings!!! Nina

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”