latest and greatest

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
mack

latest and greatest

Post by mack » Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Ok I'll give this another shot. Maybe this obsession will get some feedback. I've been working with a Claire Week's books on my obsessions and have recently been in a setback. Strange thoughts have been running through my head throughout most of the day. Well yesterday I had the thought, 'what if i start counting my steps as i walk?'. Well it has officially scared me and of course i am doing it. I'm trying to accept that it is just a setback and not be bothered by it but it's so persistent. Has me freaked like i haven't been freaked in years. It's like i go through strange thoughts until i find one that will scare the crap out of me. It's so damn annoying and frustrating!

peony

Re: latest and greatest

Post by peony » Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Mack.

I sometimes count my steps too, or count other things as I do stuff. I think it's common and nothing to worry about. But it was a bit creepy that you would worry about it just before you did it. Maybe you just gave yourself a "suggestion" so you went ahead and did it. Maybe interrupting the original worry, with "so what?" would be good for you.

As Lucinda says, they are ONLY THOUGHTS. We are supposed to:
1) NOTICE them,
2) ACCEPT them,
3) INTERRUPT them,
4) CLOSE THE GATE,
5) DISTRACT, choose a new direction.

This is from the little card.

I am on session 10 too. You are probably doing better than you think. Try noticing all the successful things you have accomplished since you started the program. My husband and my brother have noticed positive changes in me! I am making note of my successes in my diary whenever I notice. I sometimes obsess about negative fears. I sometimes change it up by obsessing about my successes. Why not?

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”