obsession about coping mechanism

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
mack

obsession about coping mechanism

Post by mack » Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 am

I am struggling with an obsession or fear that a coping mechanism that i use to calm myself down (singing) will or has become a compulsion. Is this just me obsessing because i'm in a bad setback? When does a coping mechanism become a compulsion? Singing has worked for me to calm me down, and as i mentioned in an earlier post i do it quite a bit at work (by myself at work a lot and bothers no one). Now i'm terrified that something that has worked for me is now out of control even though i never found myself singing all the time even though i'm anxious. Now the act of singing makes me even more inside my head. I love to sing and it admittedly is a coping mechanism. Is it wrong to have coping mechanisms? So frustrated! Please help!

mack

Re: obsession about coping mechanism

Post by mack » Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Wow! Your help is overwhelming...

bob p

Re: obsession about coping mechanism

Post by bob p » Tue May 15, 2012 5:36 am

mack, you are not bothering anyone and are bringing relaxation to yourself by singing. this is not hurting yourself or anyone else so keep on singing away!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”