My obsessive nature

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
FMB100

My obsessive nature

Post by FMB100 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:41 pm

I have noticed my obsessive nature relates to perfection and cause and effect relationships that do not exist.

I am currently doing endless planning for a vacation and am still going back and forth between 3 tours. I'm sure all are good and I can only go on one of them but don't want to make the wrong decision. This is my perfection.

There is also my magical thinking aspect. When I was reviewing hotels, if I saw 99 good comments and 1 bad comment, I would shy away from the hotel. I ended up getting very high end hotels which is fine but did it more because of my obsessive nature than perhaps a real necessity. The thing is I would give myself a cause and effect relationship that does not exist if I chose a lesser hotel and even lose sleep over the fact that the negative comment may be something I experience.

Can someone please offer suggestions here.

Thanks in advance.

FMB100

peony

Re: My obsessive nature

Post by peony » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 am

Would it help to do the negative thought writing routine?

eg Negative Thought: The one review said that the service was not up to par at front desk. Maybe I wont like it there.
Is It True?: Well these are just reports. It may or may not be true. After all 99 people had no complaints with front desk
Positive Thought: I'm pretty sure the 99 were right and it will be a very good experience
Transition: has your feelings changed? A bit better?
Problem solve: Assure myself that I am making a good decision as most of my decisions are good.
Write it Down:

Or you could do the positive "what ifs" instead of negative "what ifs"

Instead of negative what ifs: What if I have a terrible time there? What if the service is bad? What if the room isnt clean enough? What if the location is inconvenient?

Try positive what if statements: What if it's the best room I have ever stayed in? What if the desk goes the extra mile in service? What if there is a fantastic view from the window? What if the beds are super comfy? What if I like it so much that I want to stay another night?

Hope this helps. I am new to program. Finding these 2 strategies work for some things for me.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”