Scary thoughts and night time Panic attacks

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Nfoot53

Scary thoughts and night time Panic attacks

Post by Nfoot53 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I am fairly new to this forum. I have had panic attacks in my sleep recently. they were severe as far as intensity goes. I handled these pretty well considering how intense they were. I still got up everyday for work thinking I am just stressed out and these will pass in time.

The derealization that followed these attacks was just aweful. My mind would race during the day of thinking about how the world around me looks in an unreal way and I would just become terrified by it. I know this is all obsessive thinking but I have become even more anxious because of it. When I would think about this the during the day or even think of a future event in this way, i would feel panic racing up my back. i can feel myself get humble and a little depressed around people because of these thoughts.

I think about this stuff 24/7 and it is beginning to control my decisions because of the fear involved. I still go to places I need to go but I am very apprehensive all the time. I have to even think if sex with my wife will bring on an attack. i still do it and no attack.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to gain control? I've been through this before and each time its the same thoughts and fears involved. The nightime attacks, are they a sign of some serious mental disorder? i am an older gentlemen and I think i would have known if I was psychotic by now or that I had a serious mental disorder. I was diagnosed with GAD years ago but just concerned that maybe the doctor was wrong.

dhoyt84

Re: Scary thoughts and night time Panic attacks

Post by dhoyt84 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:05 pm

@ Nfoot53..NO you are not crazy and u don't have a mental disorder. You sound like me and anyone else who has had panic attacks. You fear having another one, which makes you apprehensive. Im going through this but I have gotten a grip on it. My mind races a lot somedays and so I get depressed and scared, but getting better takes time. One day at a time, the more you think about it the more attacks you will have, so try to live in the moment.

jameys

Post by jameys » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:49 am

Nfoot53 wrote:I am fairly new to this forum. I have had panic attacks in my sleep recently. they were severe as far as intensity goes. I handled these pretty well considering how intense they were. I still got up everyday for work thinking I am just stressed out and these will pass in time.

The derealization that followed these attacks was just aweful. My mind would race during the day of thinking about how the world around me looks in an unreal way and I would just become terrified by it. I know this is all obsessive thinking but I have become even more anxious because of it. When I would think about this the during the day or even think of a future event in this way, i would feel panic racing up my back. i can feel myself get humble and a little depressed around people because of these thoughts.

I think about this stuff 24/7 and it is beginning to control my decisions because of the fear involved. I still go to places I need to go but I am very apprehensive all the time. I have to even think if sex with my wife will bring on an attack. i still do it and no attack.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to gain control? I've been through this before and each time its the same thoughts and fears involved. The nightime attacks, are they a sign of some serious mental disorder? i am an older gentlemen and I think i would have known if I was psychotic by now or that I had a serious mental disorder. I was diagnosed with GAD years ago but just concerned that maybe the doctor was wrong.
Hey man... im the same way im just like you.well its just your mind putting feer in you.are you taking meds for it

coachjanine

Post by coachjanine » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 am

Hi Jameys. Thank you for your post. This is coach Janine. I am sorry that you have been feeling so uncomfortable. What you are describing is very common for people who suffer from anxiety disorder. Do you have the StressCenter.com Program? If so, listen to CD's 1,2, and 3 very carefully. Listen to the relaxation CD as well as many times as you can each day. If you are obsessing to the point where you can't sit/lie down and relax, go out for a brisk walk if possible and attempt to meditate (say positive things to yourself, or focus on just what you see, or hear. This will help you "jump out" of your circular thinking so you can focus and get back to the present moment. If You have any other questions, I am here.

Best Wishes
Janine

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”