Going to see a therapist

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Nfoot53

Going to see a therapist

Post by Nfoot53 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 pm

I have had anxiety off and on for years. With the exceptions of a few times, I have always been able to handle this on my own. I recently developed anxiety again back in january. Since then, I have had anxiety 24/7. There was a period for about 2 weeks that I felt like I was coming out of the cycle but then I began to get panic attacks in my sleep. some were very powerful attacks that were anxiety, panic and derealization.

I weathered these attacks but I have become very fearfull and phobic in my thoughts. I worry constantly about having an attack while I am awake. I fear losing control and having constant panic.

I know what this is all about and what is going on but this doesnt help like it use to. neither does the fact that others suffer from this condition. The night I had the massive panic attack in my sleep, I had terrible derealization going to work that morning. Since then I create the derealization daily, especially in work. when I do it, I begin to think I am going insane and I feel like I am about to go out of control and insane. I go outside and do things I need to do but I always fear a panic attack coming on.

I decided to see a therapist tomorrow and now my anxiety is high and I fear it getting even higher before the appointment. I know alot of this is anticipatory anxiety that I create. I dont know if this is anxiety or some other disorder. I am in my 50s and have no mental health issues in my family history.

Right now I just fear losing control. I use to feel safe at home or even in work but now I realize panic can take place anywhere. i know I am giving this fear too much credit and I am really letting this get out of control. That feeling of wanting to run to a safe spot and not having it is really distrurbing.

Anyone have any suggestions on these thoughts or how to control the fear?

Iwillbebetter

Re: Going to see a therapist

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 am

Good for you to make an appointment to talk to a therapist!! Can relate so to your feelings of "going crazy" But you will not!! I am starting to realize it all mostly ties into our thoughts.... changing the way we think is key to changing the way we feel!!
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”