Anxiety Symptoms or what

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
nervousfoot

Anxiety Symptoms or what

Post by nervousfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

hello, I havent posted anything on year in over a year.

I have some concerns I'd like to address and would appreciate feed back from anyone. About a year ago, I lost my Father. His death was hard on the family. I grieved like any son would but after a while, I just figured his death was out of my hands and was part of life. I moved on by accepting his death and started living life as usual.

Back in the Fall, I started getting anxiety symptoms over things that would normally not bother me. This lasted for about a month and then went away. I was fine through the holidays (although not having Dad around was hard). During the Winter, I started having anxiety again only this time the symptoms were stronger.

There were days I really struggled to leave my house. The fear and panic attacks would come in my sleep. Then there was a two week period when I felt like I was getting back to normal. However, I had an argument with someone then a few days later went to a funeral and the anxiety jumped up in high gear.

There are times I feel like I want to run somewhere but there is no where to run and hide. Everything bothers me and there are times I feel like I am just going to lose it for sure and end up in a mental hospital. Unreality hits real hard and I feel like I am only one panic attack away from going insane.

can this happen? Can this lead to deep depression and insanity? I surprisingly handled the night panic attacks well eventhough they woke me up in terror. the night attacks have stopped but now I am very anxious during the day. i use to exercise to take care of anxiety but now I am afraid to do that too. Sometimes I feel like thee is noway out of this cycle.

Peace1217

Re: Anxiety Symptoms or what

Post by Peace1217 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Nervousfoot. First of all, Good for you for reaching out! You know you don't have to go through this alone.
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GO CRAZY and you will not end up in a mental hospital. You have been very, very stressed. Realize that your feelings are coming from the stress. It seems you have anticapatory anxiety and that's to be expected. The fear of feeling the fear along with that lovely fear of going crazy, which you will not.

Do you do breathing excercises? That seems small but it will help you. Breathe in through your nose to the count of four and recite the word "Calm" to yourself. Breathe out through your mouth slowly to the count of 4 or 5 and recite the word "Relax" to yourself. May sure your stomach is expanding as far as it can go because it will actually expand your diaphragm. The relaxation feeling comes when you breathe out.

I would suggest getting the book, "Peace From Nervouse Suffering" by Dr. Claire Weekes. It was the first thing I read that discussed everything I was feeling and that alone made me feel better. I wondered how she was in my head.

I remember I wanted to run when I was sitting in car in traffic around the holidays near Penn Station. I needed to get out. I asked the driver to please pull over and guess what? I ran. I ran faster (it felt like it anyway) than I ever have. I ran to the end of the block and realized I did not want to end up at the end of Manhattan. LOL. I can laugh now. I found a deli, got some water and almonds and tried to calm myself down. I was frightened. I did not go to the holiday party. I was shaking, sweating, heart racing, fear of making a fool of myself in front of everyone. I calmed myself a tiny bit.

Point is, if you feel like running, maybe you should run. That way what you're doing physically will actually match how your body is feeling inside.

When you don't want to run you don't have to. Remember you will be ok. Tell yourself positive things. "It's anxiety. It will not hurt me." "Everyone on the message board is dealing with this. I am not the only one." "I have been under a lot of stress and this is how I am reacting". "Who wouldn't react this way"? "I AM HANDLING IT VERY WELL IF ALL I'M GOING THROUGH IS ANXIETY". :)

You are not one panic attack away from insanity. Believe me. I've been there.

I would suggest exercising so at least you are doing something familiar to you and that thought will help calm you.

I hope this helped. Just know you are not alone and you even though it may not feel like it, you will be, or really, you are ok.
I would suggest finding a doctor because you do not have to go through this alone. Good health to you.

nervousfoot

Re: Anxiety Symptoms or what

Post by nervousfoot » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:30 am

Thank you so much for your reply. The hardest part of this all are my thoughts. i can make things around me look scary to the point that I panic. I tell people this and they say "well dont think of it" easier said than done.

I know this all has to do with the loss of my Father. I have dealt with this over the years from time to time but this bout is pretty bad. I thought I was over this anxiety but it came back with a bite and its really hard to grab onto something positive right now.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”