what helps me with scary thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
patrromig

what helps me with scary thoughts

Post by patrromig » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

My best way to rid myself of negative thoughts is through my art work. Once i start thinking my obsession thoughts i go and start drawing or paint which takes my mind off the negative thoughts or scared thoughts which helps me focus on the problem at hand. If ur having problems with ridding yourself of the thoughts. Try different away to rid yourself of these thoughts read write draw paint garden something to make ur mind focus on positive stuff healthy stuff. :D it worked for me just keep trying u will find something that helps.

keepsmilin

Re: what helps me with scary thoughts

Post by keepsmilin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm a musician....this could really help me. Maybe I will just break out in song and spontaneously improvise and write a short tune instead of chase my scary thoughts. Thanks!!!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Scary/obsessive thoughts are some of the most intrusive thoughts we can have and the hardest to get rid....BUT when see them as a bad habit, keep them at a distance, let them float by and quickly, like you said, move toward positive distraction, they will fade. Those of us with obsessive thinking tend to be very creative, analytical people. So, let's use that creativity in a positive way and we can change the world!! It took me a good while to get out of this bad habit but it does happen. Persevere! You will make it and ALWAYS under-react to them. Here's to your ARTISTRY!!

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 pm

You're right-under react to them always! And...direct that energy and creativity and intelligence outward, in that positive direction :)

I feel some days I can totally do it. Others are harder. This I know is normal. I will KEEP SMILIN and keep going!

bwhyte

Post by bwhyte » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:01 pm

I have had Post Tramatic Stress Disorder since I was 16 it comes and goes. I have to go to therapy to process my tramatic events. I had Chronic Childhood Abuse since about 2, mostly I saw my Mom beat up then when my Mom broke up with my Dad he abused my sisters and me and my mom left us with him knowing he was an alocholic monster. But anyways evreytime my system get's triggered I get scarry obsessive thoughts and I hate them. When i first came down with this disorder I would get ones of having a stroke, having a heart attack, then it was what if I kill my Dad, or anything I believed to be going crazy. I finally rid myself of these thoughts and my system would go down at the time I thought I was just haveing panic attacks did not realize that I was having memories. The I would have some of hurting my son as I got older. I got triggered again after I broke up with my boyfriend who was addicted to oxycontin. They say people play out your childhoods. ANYWAYS I am having scarry obessive thoughts but they are of my symtoms and my anxiety. I keep saying what if I'm stuck IN MY Anxety forever, I have dreams behind my anxiety. Ridiculous I know it but my brain keeps giving me snapshots of anxiety. MY system has gone way down but I'm still having thoughts of how awful the intense anxiety is. It's kinda making me agoraphobic. I just get mad and try to watch t.v. These thoughts to me are worse than the floaded emotions, it just goes on and on and on and on. HAVE ANY TIPS?

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

I would suggest, every time you have scary obsessive thoughts of ANY kind, read that chapter and listen to that session in the program. Read the replacement sentences and make some up of your own. If your obsessive scary thought is anxiety and all the feelings/symptoms it brings on, your replacement sentence could say things like: how you're working on getting over this and getting better, how you're going TO therapy as well, how "this too shall pass" and all the things YOU'RE doing to better your life. It'll give you reminders and confidence. Stick with your therapy and this program. Maybe every time you get a memory of your dad hitting your mom and all those nasty scary memories, write them down, share them and talk about them...then let them go (maybe flush them down the toilet? burn them?). Keep doing all you can. You can rise above this! Talk to your therapist and doctor lots and lots...and take notes. Take notes for what works for you or what doesn't. I have faith in you. I am doing well from this program..I really am benefitting. You got this. Stay in touch! Hope this sort of helps. It will take lots of time...but you can do this!

KeepSmilin

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Also, remember to aim for peace of mind. That is the focus. Peace of mind and happiness. YOU DESERVE TO BE HAPPY. YOU DESERVE HAPPINESS.

Hugs

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”