is this just an obsessive, scary thought too?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
growing

Post by growing » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:54 am

Hello everyone,
I am hoping you can provide some insight for me. I have had numerous different obsessive scary thoughts. With each, I'm pretty much been able to recognize it as a scary thought (eventually) and not be fearful of it. The latest one though has been a little harder (I tend to go from one scary thought to another... it's like my mind keeps looking for something to be scared of. When, I feel like I've overcome one, my mind goes on to find another one that will stick... *sigh*). One day, I had a thought cross my mind- "What if I go lose my mind and become paranoid and believe that my husband is going to hurt me?" Then, the image of him hurting me entered my mind, which has been scary. Although, I know he won't do anything to hurt me. It's been difficult to let it go and creates fear. And I've wondered if this is a scary thought as well or if I'm really losing it now and being paranoid? And now, this thought has also transferred when I'm out in public as well- the thought of other people hurting me. For instance, today in church, I kept having the image of the person sitting behind me hurting me. The thought causes great fear in me. Although I know chances are slim to null this will actually happen, the thought still scares me. I know usually our scary obsessive thoughts are about us hurting others (as mine have been in the past) but, can they be about other hurting us as well? Thanks in advance for your time. =)

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Growing
I can relate to your thoughts on this one. Growing up I often had thoughts of my Mom trying to kill me or stab me and I had similar thoughts about my Dad when I got older and I have also had similar thoughts about my ex husband hurting me or abandoning me in the desert. I have come to the conclusion that most of those thoughts centered around my inablility to trust from being hurt so often and also that it was in a way a figurative image of pain and betrayal I was feeling for them having let me down in some way or our relationship being off somewhere. Not always of course but it was a way my brain processed my emoptional hurt. I know That none of them Mom, Dad or Ex would physically hurt me. I think thats how I processed my disappointments. And I also felt very victimized by them and as I got stronger and more confident I had those thoughts less and less too.I hope I am making some sense because I am rambling haha. Anyway take care and yes they are Thoughts Only Thoughts.
Blessings on ya!
Jill~
:)

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”