Terrified I have Cancer

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
hopefuljen

Terrified I have Cancer

Post by hopefuljen » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 am

I am 35 and have been very frequently ill with stomach illness for the past few years. I have been to a number of doctors who all seem to think it is just IBS. For the past few weeks, I have been feeling more ill than usual, my stools are strange and for the past few days I have rectal pain. I made an appointment to see the doctor but it is 3 weeks away and all I can do is obsess about this. I do not know how to turn off the thoughts especially considering the pain is constantly there to remind me. Any suggestions from anyone? I have started this program a number of times but only managed to get through week 8 fully. About to start week 3 again but skipping ahead to this session to see if it might help. Thanks in advance.

bob p

Re: Terrified I have Cancer

Post by bob p » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:33 am

hopefuljen i know your fears. i believe if you have been to a number of drs and they tell u it is just ibs believe them. try to take something that will help with the pain. out minds are very strong. they can work against us or for us. keep up with the program and know that you will someday have the confidence to let go of your fears know matter what you have or dont have. you can do it jen. we are all here for you. go for it. bob

hopefuljen

Post by hopefuljen » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 am

bob, thank you so much. i have struggled with this type of anxiety for so long now and feel that i should know better but i absolutely convince myself that this is what i have. i also found out a former co-worker of mine, also in her mid 30s, has stage IV lung cancer. i am certain that this has led to the panic but yet knowing this does not calm my fears. i did go for a walk with a very understanding friend and that seemed to help distract me some but all i still think about is the pain. i will take some medication and see if it helps. and then monday make an appointment with my doctor again and see what happens. and i do hope that i find the strength to deal with whatever diagnosis comes my way. thanks for your support bob.

bob p

Post by bob p » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:21 am

any time hopefuljen. try and figure out why you are distracting yourself with these scary thoughts of having cancer. i figured out why i was having scary thoughts. believe me it is hard and i am still trying to deal with them. it was because i am a bit of a goof ball so when someone doesnt play along and either makes fun of me or just is down right rude (the worst when it is my own family) i get all flustered and start having scary thoughts about everything including hurting my family. i used to have and still ocassionaly do have the scary thoughts about getting sick but that isnt enough of a distraction for me, i go right to the am i going crazy or going to do something crazy routine. try and see what it is and you will be able to work on it. i know you can do it. never give up.

worryguy

Post by worryguy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 am

I do the same thing....... everytime I have a pain I think its the C-word. Last year I had a colonoscopy and a scope down the throat....nothing. Its IBS and its very common among we anxious folks. I have been doing some open water mile swims the past few weeks and I think I have pulled a muscle that my be under my right ribcage down along my right side. that;s what I am almost sure it is, but in my head I have all sorts of things conjured up...and the anxiety has jacked up the IBS stuff. I may go see a Dr so he can tell me what I already think I know, just so I can relax. We are surrounded by stories of sick people, it makes me feel like I'm a sitting duck. Its easy to have your mind take off in a bad direction...... Jon

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”