Bad habit!!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Didde

Bad habit!!

Post by Didde » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 am

Hi!
I've been using Lucindas program for about 6 or 7 years now and most of the time a feel fine.
But I have one obsessive, very anoying thought that never leaves me.
"What if I have a stomach ache and if I have to go to the bathroom and do number 2?" This thought usually came when I had something outside my comfort zone before but now it's every day. And I can't turn it off.
The most stupid thing is that if I have to go more then once a day I feel like I failed. I live through my stomach and I can't stop this habit. Every time I eat something I'm affraid I have to go to the bathroom so I never eat out anymore.
I don't feel anxious or nervous and talk to myself but the thought is still there.

Any advice for "poor " me? Maybe some kind of plan how I shall begin?

Thanks everyone

Paisleegreen

Re: Bad habit!!

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 am

I guess one idea is to not obsess over it. Use the restroom if you have to, then as you relax over it that it isn't a big deal, then the thought will eventually go away. Sometimes having anxiety causes the body's system to have loose bowels. So see if any of the foods you are eating are helping to cause you to feel this way. I had to stop eating healthy whole wheat bread and have my sandwiches with plain old white constipating bread. This helped me out, until my bodily anxiety subsided somewhat. paislee

**Its a New Day**

Post by **Its a New Day** » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:22 am

Try to be thankful that you go to the bathroom regularly. Think about the people that are unable to without help and be thankful that you can. Sometimes being happy about the thing that bothers you takes the power away from the fear. When you are out and you have that thought replace it with being thankful that there is a bathroom where you are at so that if you need to go you can go without any problem. It is good that it is not making you feel anxious anymore but it is still causing you issues if you are avoiding going out because of it. You are on your way to beating it, just take the final fear out of it. Turn the fear of "what-if" into "thankfully" my food processes like it should.

Didde

Post by Didde » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks for your replies.
I know what you say is the right thing to do and it seams so logical but as I've been doing this for so long the spontaneous thought starts the moment I open my eyes. It's so hard to be strong from the moment I wake up and try to replace my thoughts. I know in my head what is right but my body still react as it always has.
I know this is a very common problem among us "anxious" people and I'm not alone but I really need a good replacement thought that I can believe.
I think that is my biggest problem, I don't trust myself. I don't believe in myself. And I really want to.
I know I'm good at problem solving but I usually need a plan, 1. do this 2. do that.
Any suggestions how to get started?

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”