Are these just scary thoughts or am I really losing my mind

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
diva

Are these just scary thoughts or am I really losing my mind

Post by diva » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 am

Hi

Not long after I go through a heavy depression/anxiety time I start having so many scary thoughts. They seem to always stem with going crazy since that seems to be my biggest fear. Some of my latest obsessions are as follows:

Last night I got an overwhelming feeling that I would snap completely lose it and kill my family or hurt my cat. It was so scary. I tried to just tell myself I was tired and felt overwhelmed

I posted this in another section but not sure what thread people read more often.

I obsess that I am inside my body looking out and its like my mind tells me that this is not normal. Or, sometimes that I can talk to myself in my head and I feel like that is not normal. It's almost like my mind takes normal things and makes me feel it is not normal.

Sometimes I feel very sensitive to sounds and some can feel disturbing to me.

Last week, for about 15 minutes, I thought of how often we blink and then bam,I thought "what if I never stop thinking of how I blink my eyes" and then I was stuck on being aware of blinking constantly and that's all I could concentrate on and I just said "oh well, and kept to my business" and somehow got over it.

I hate these neurotic obsessive scary thoughts and one always replaces another if I get over it and I just feel like I am losing my mind. How do I heal from this?? I have no idea

I have gone through some of this or similar things in other anxiety episodes but it always scares me. I can't seem to let go of the one about feeling "inside" my body. I hate this!! I need some support from someone

coach21

Re: Are these just scary thoughts or am I really losing my m

Post by coach21 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Hello Diva,

Could not help responding to your post in that scary thoughts were one of my symptoms of anxiety. In regards to your statement "going crazy seems to be my biggest fear..." This is a very common fear when our symptoms of anxiety manifest. Often time we engage in a the cognitive distortion called emotional reasoning; you reason from how you feel i.e. you feel like you are going crazy thus you conclude you are going crazy.

Reality is the mere fact that you posed that question (i.e. "Am I going crazy?") to yourself is pure evidence that you are of sane mind. Individuals who are "going crazy" have absolutely no idea they are thus they would not pose a question of that nature to themselves.

In regards to your statement "Overwhelming feeling that I would snap completely lose it and kill my family or hurt my cat..."

FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS. Reality is the mere fact that these thoughts made you anxious is pure evidence you are of sane mind. Individuals who carry out thoughts of this nature find comfort in these thoughts and are diagnosed as pathological. Obviously they would be nowhere near the StressCenter.com website reaching out for help.

Reality is all humans have obscure thoughts. We were born a little more sensitive and analytical in nature thus an obscure thought of which you described pops up in our head and we chase these thoughts down in a counterproductive, analytical, what if nature establishing and reinforcing bad thinking habits. This results in a circle of anxiety... UNDERSTANDABLE because we are uneducated about anxiety and have no foundation....UNACCEPTABLE becuase you possess the capability to recover completely from this condition.

WHEN OUR SYMPTOMS MANIFEST THIS RESULTS IN A SIGNIFICANT TAINT TO THE QUALITY OF OUR LIFE. IN OTHER WORDS, OUR CONFIDENCE TAKES A HIT. WE SUBSEQUENTLY BEGIN TO QUESTION EVERYTHING

i.e. "Am I crazy?"..."am I inside my body looking out?"... "what if I never stop blinking of how I blink my eyes?"...

In regards to your statement "nuerotic obsessive scary thoughts and one replaces another..." When we chase these thoughts down in a counterproductive analytical nature we inject question marks where God put periods. This results in more variations of the thought and anxiety.

To answer you question "How do I heal from this?"

Recovery takes education, patience and consistent effort. Know that thousands have recovered from the exact symptoms in which you described. This program is an excellent start. I am employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and and have plenty of information and resources to help you help yourself recover from this symptom of anxiety. God wants us to "thrive" not "survive". Due to the recent construction on this website I had to open a new account. I know they are still working out the kinks to this site so feel free to e-mail me directly at mikesc21@hotmail.com. God bless and go for it!!!!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”