Overwhelming feelings with scary thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Melodie

Overwhelming feelings with scary thoughts

Post by Melodie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

I've done this program on and off for the past 12 years or so during stressful times in my life and now going through it again. I was doing fine the past few years (even with the death of both my parents my mom in 06 and my dad in 09) but recently got the flu a week before Christmas and the anxiety, depression and the horrible obsessive scary thoughts all came back full blown. One night during my illness I was having terrible anxiety and I got up out of bed and couldn't remember my sons name and had to take a minute to try and remember where I was and it really scared me. This also went on for about 2 weeks off and on. Sometimes these feelings overtake me and I have a hard time shaking it. Does this make sense? I'm still trying to figure out where this all came from. I know I lost a week of work(without pay) and just bought my house last Feb so I started thinking about my finances. My son will also be 18 in 2 years and will be leaving home so now I've been having thoughts of being alone. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Last edited by Melodie on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cj20520

Re: Overwhelming feelings with scary thoughts

Post by cj20520 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 am

i have had the same thing happen when i dont feel well. I too was sick during Christmas and i thought oh my gosh here it comes again. But then i stopped and realized i am in control of my thoughts. I have been doing so well for the past months that there is no reason (not even sickness) that will put me back into that spin. Positive thinking, relaxation tape and eating the right foods helped me stop before it got too bad. Our bodies are programed to resort back to what is most familiar. We need to keep reinforcing the good things, like you were doing so well before you got sick. What were you doing then that you are not doing now. Dont get ahead of the moment. Yes, your son will graduate in two years, but what other wonderful things might happen between now and then.....enjoy today and whatever it brings. You can do this...baby steps back to where you were before Christmas.

Hope this helped.
claudia

coach21

Re: Overwhelming feelings with scary thoughts

Post by coach21 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello Melodie,

My name is Michael and I am employed as a coach for StressCenter.com. I do alot of peer support as well and could not help but notice your post. Scary thoughts have been one of my symptoms of anxiety and I've can identify with what you are experiencing in that I had a similar "growth spurt". You stated "anxiety, depression and horrible obsessive scary thoughs all came back....". I've found that unmanaged stress leads to anxiety i.e. scary thoughts. Very similair to a bubble bursting or weakest lnk on a chain. We establish a continuing care program and when our program is lacking in certain areas the thinest part of the bubble will burst due to unmanaged stress. You stated "I have constannt thoughts about hurting my son and afraid to get angry about anything for fear I will lose it and do domething terrible..". I can completely identify with you in that I experienced the same type of anxiety. First of all reality is you are incapable of carrying out any of these thoughts. Those who do would never be near this website. Reality is you went through a stressful experience which lead to anxiety i.e. scary thoughts. You in turn re-established old habits of chasing these thoughts down with irrational "what if's" injecting a seed of belief in these thoughts. Sometimes we have an innate drive to revert to our old way of thinking. The end result is anxiety/depression i.e. frustration. You stated ""Sometimes these feelings overtake me and I have a hard time shaking it...." Remember, Melonie, FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS. Just an illusion of what we manufactured. In your case you re-inserted question marks where GOD put periods resulting in a circle of anxiety. Good news is that if you think yourself into anxiety, you possess the ability to think yourself out. E-mail me anytime for support. I do have alot of experience with this symptom of anxiety and resources to share. Know that this is only a growth spurt and you will re-establish yourself!!! God Bless and go for it!!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”