Have any studies been done as to why...

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
PP

Post by PP » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:09 am

scary thoughts of hurting oneself or others usually seems to accompany depression and anxiety?

What is it about the three that are so interelated... anybody know?

flippinkid

Post by flippinkid » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am

I think the that session 10 does help to explain that this is because it is a distraction that keeps us from the real problem. It is something we can relate to and understand when we can't relate to our own condition and we certainly can't understand why we are like this.....
It seems to be some way of our brains making sense of why we are depressed and anxious when there is no sense to it. So it makes something up.
Its a bit like why I have nightmares when I have had a difficult day. I am managing to control the anxiety while I am awake but when I'm asleep and my subconscious takes over it just lets loose!

PP

Post by PP » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 am

That's an interesting take on it, and it might very well be true. My problem is, I never can seem to find any underlying issues that are REALLY bugging me. Sometimes I can put my finger on a very stressful time, but not always. And, not every time of stress sets the whole thing in motion.

It just seems like, on the surface level, either a scary thought sets everything into action (including depression and anxiety), or, depression or anxiety will set the scary thoughts into motion.

Anybody else ever notice that? And the main thing is to actually put into practice the concept of actually breaking the habit pattern. I have gone in and out of this for years... I'd like to put a total stop to it.

Or, is it a weakness that cannot be truly healed and broken, and we just have to learn to deal with it (floating, not fighting) the rest of our lives?

I'm interested in hearing opinions!

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:36 am

Hey PP,

Couldn't help responding to your post in that this was one of my more challenging symptoms of anxiety. Through personal experience and helping others I have found that scary thoughts are merely a symptom of anxiety. Often times it does not represent a distraction from an underlying problem. In response to your question "Is it a weakness that cannot be healed or broken...."

First of all there is no "it". All we are talking about is scary thoughts. Like any symptom of anxiety our goal is to insignificize these symptoms. All humans have scary thoughts but we tend to focus on them a tab bit more than normal. No big deal. The key is to elimnate the belief in any of these thoughts and view these thoughts as old symptoms of anxiety. Take care and e-mail anytime for support!!!

gemini0521

Post by gemini0521 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:25 am

I have been having scary obsessive thoughts for a while now, and that is what scares me and gives me anxiety and depression the most. I think my anxiety gives me depression, which I'm sure everyone here can understand. I also cannot find an underlying main cause to my thoughts. It is so hard for me to do the positive thinking instead and redirect myself! I almost keep thinking maybe I am bi-polar or something because one moment I will be completely fine and then the next I am having depressed thoughts.I know that is probably me over analyzing things. I really hope this is not something I have to live with for the rest of my life, and this all happened so suddenly for me with the scary thoughts. It is nice to know I am not the only one out there that feels like this. I am interested also to hear some opinions. Thank you!
Toni Slater

PP

Post by PP » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Michael & Toni,

Thank you both for responding.

Michael, of course you're right about the "it" thing. I was referring to "it" more as the whole "depression/anxiety/thoughts" thing as a whole, and the weakness of being harassed by it. For several years, I viewed "it" as if it were some entity, or as if it was a raw deal that had been dealt to me, you know? I felt I had to fight "it" to beat the problem.

It was while I was taking this program some years ago that I discovered that was victim thinking, but I guess some residual of that has stuck with me now that you mention it.

You are right... scary thoughts can certainly materialize from anxiety (or depression). But seemingly, in my experience, the thoughts can come first, setting the the anxiety and depression into motion. It seems as though any one can start the whole process, and the other two will kick in. Correct me if I'm wrong Toni, but I think this is what you are experiencing as well? Perhaps anxiety is the the thing that sets everything else in motion, I just don't recognize it a lot of the time. In other words, I don't feel stressed or anxious. But the thoughts always seem to be there... lurking in the backgound, just looking for the opportunity to strike and send me spiraling into the abyss. Has anyone else felt like this?

Don't get me wrong... I do have my periods - some of them fairly lengthy - when I feel good, and the whole thing is not on my mind at all. I'm just saying, that the thoughts seem to be poised to pounce whenever they can. I guess that's where I can tend to personalize them... to see them almost as though they were a living thing. Of course, as you mentioned, this is a false outlook, and "The key is to elimnate the belief in any of these thoughts and view these thoughts as old symptoms of anxiety."

Yes, I am having another round with whole scenario, and what I'm saying, is that I really want to break the pattern and the habit this time, so that no matter what, I don't fall back into this way of thinking. I have gone as long as a couple years walking in relative victory, but at some point or another, without me even seeing it coming, it rears it's ugly head again. I want to be successful at cutting off the head, once and for all.

And this brings me back to the question... do you think it can actually be done, or will the propensity to succomb to it always be there? In other words, will we always "...tend to focus on them tad bit more than normal?"

Strength and victory to you all!

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am

Hey PP,

Strength and victory to us all!! Damn right. The question isn't if we recover it is when we recover...
In your post I couldn't help but notice the phrase "Lurking int the backround, just looking for the opportunity to strike and send me spiralling in the abyss..."
I know you are attempting to desribe how you feel but SAY WHAT YOU MEAN AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY. Our brain does not know the diference. If you desribe an obscure thought as a physical entity "lurking in the backround..." then we end up manufacturing unreality.
Another statement "The thoughts seem to pounce whenever they can..."
See what we are capable of manufacturing? Your brain will literally interpret a scary thought as an entity capable of "pouncing whenever they can.." "rearing it's ugly head again.." "cutting off the head once and for all"

Reality is all humans get scary thoughts. Our goal is to desensitize/insignificize these thoughts. Through this we view scary thoughts as a mere symptom of anxiety. As we develop confidence these thoughts are then viewed as an old symptom of anxiety. We don't want to think in terms of elimination. This sets us up for failure. What happens when you strive to eiliminate thinking about the sunset? We think about the sunset.

Depression is defined as anger/frustration turned inward. We get frustrated by our symptoms and at times lack the skills to think ourselves to victory. Thus we become frustrated. Understandable but not acceptable. We are of sane mind and possess the ability to recover.

Your post also indicates that you possess the ability to think yourself out of anxiety. Reality is you have made progress and you will continue to do so.

It's not a matter of if you can desensitize your symptoms of anxiety..it is a matter of when you can desensitize your anxiety.

I hope I was of some assistance PP. This was one my symptoms of anxiety and I know we can be challenged at times. You have the right attitude!!!
Go for it!!!!!!

gemini0521

Post by gemini0521 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 am

Hey PP- This is exactly what I am experiencing also. It seems that when I am having a good day or moment I over think that also and then I scare myself into thinking those obsseeive scary thoughts again. I think the key it to not entertain the mere thought of the idea and it will stop bothering you, in turn eventually hopefully go away!!!! I have been trying to really practice this the last couple of days and so far so good. Also,I would recommend the relaxation cd or some other type of meditation where your mind is focused on something else. Meditation seems to really work for me, it is just a matter of actually doing it on a regular basis. I had some scary thoughts this morning and writing to you is helping, so anytime you need to talk feel free to vent- I think it hepls a lot, especially beacause most of these thoughts we are to scared to tell anyone!! good luck and God bless!!!
Toni Slater

PP

Post by PP » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:19 am

Hi To Michael & Toni Again!

Both of you are relaying some good stuff! Michael, I like your ideas, and I think you have it right! I'm going to have to read that one over and over again until I get it good and sunk in.

Toni, thank you, and the same holds true for you. Maybe we all need to just get brave and start listing our scary thoughts here for others and ourselves to see. They say there's something about getting it out on paper (computer in this case!), and it will loose its impact.

Power and victory to us all!!!

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:15 am

Hey PP and Toni,

I'll be glad to hash these thoughts out with ya anytime. Just shoot me an e-mail. Hope u guys have a great holiday....

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”