Obsessing About Parents

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:52 am

Does anyone else do this? I obsess about what my parents would think about what I'm thinking, and if I need to tell them my thoughts or not, because "they might see something I don't see, or they might think that something is wrong with me." This leads to me feeling a need to constantly "make sure" with them about something. I feel like I am deceiving them if I don't tell them something that they may care about. At times they have reacted negatively when I have shared my scary thoughts, and have gotten scared themselves. But they also know that I have anxiety and OCD and are very patient with me.

I am a college student living at home, so that gives some background to it. ;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 pm

NeverQuit--I thought I would tell you about my late son. He has told me that he didn't want to live. I then would ask him about what is going at school, because he had trouble in school. He suffered from ADHD and he was a target of bullies.

So when he said he didn't want to live...I knew something has to be going on at school. He then told me and I got that taken care of and had him go to a different school after I had him see a Psychiatrist. He was put on some medication that he didn't want to take, so didn't.

The new school was great with him, but it was at a different school where he was confronted w/ bullies again. Anyway, long story short, he did take his life. It was very devastating to us and we never thought it would happen.

If your parents understand that you have anxiety and OCD and are patient w/ you, I don't think it would be a problem to tell them about your fears. You are coming here to get help and that is good. It will help them to know what you are working on.

The thing about suicide is that people don't usually tell someone to call the Dr, I'm going to kill myself. They are very despondent and depressed that they see there is no way out of their pain. So sometimes they will say nothing is wrong when asked.

That is why it is so troubling to those loved ones left behind to make heads or tails out of the suicide. What was the loved one thinking?

Usually a suicide note tells how they feel, and the reason why. But it doesn't take the pain away. I think telling your parents about your scary thoughts is something that I recommend, just so that you can have a sounding board and hopefully they can help trouble shoot what is bringing you anxiety.

Do you have another safe person you can talk to about your scary thoughts?

If what I'm telling you is off base, I rather I at least addressed your posting then to just let you go unanswered w/o any response. You are older and wiser than my son was, and have a lot going for you it looks like.

I hope others will respond to your posting that has more experience with this. Paislee

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:37 am

Thank you Paisleegreen for replying, I am so sorry to hear about your son. I think it's important for those of us with scary thoughts to realize that these things scare us, like Lucinda talks about in the program, so that means that we won't act on them. But I do understand your point about being honest about your feelings with those around you.

I think in so far as my case, it's a result of my OCD's need for constant reassurance. It's classic OCD to need reassurance from others about things. And the kicker is, you really never get what you're looking for, because once someone reassures you, you just come up with something else to obsess about that you need "reassurance" for. So I was wondering if anyone can relate to that with their parents.

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 am

Hi neverQuit,

In regards to sharing your scary thoughts I've found it's best to share with a RESPONSIBLE EAR. Meaning someone who can identify with you and provide insight. Usually a proffessional or individuals on this website sharing their experience, strength and hope. In regards to OCD their is no need to label yourself. All we are talking about is scary thoghts and anxiety...nothing more....nothing less. We just tend to focus a bit more than the norm. Through this program and a good therapist you can recover and insgnificize/eliminate these symptoms of anxiety i.e. scary thoughts. It is not a matter of if it is a matter of when...God Bless and go for it!!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”