scared of everything

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
kv93

Post by kv93 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:22 pm

hey i am a 20 year old female and for a 3 years i had this fear that i am a lesbian i know i always liked guys and never questioned before i always liked guys but ever since a thought popped into my head there was no escaping it i just recently had a breakup with my first bf so that gay worry is worse than ever im tired of questioning everyday if im attractive to any girl i see its gross i wasted too many years on this worry also i have constant worries of getting cancer im petrified of it please help i need advice

berengar

Post by berengar » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am

Hello, I am a 27 yr old female and I experienced this same 'fearful' thought when I was younger. I was watching a figure skater, and after her performance I got this overwhelming panic that I might suddenly be gay. Eventually the panic stopped and I realize now I am human, and was simply recognizing that another female was attractive. It was just a panicky thought that was pulling my attention away from something else I was going through at the time... my creative brain was focusing on the first thing that had the potential to distract me.

Don't get me wrong, I do not judge others for their choices. I have gay friends, but I am not a lesbian myself. Think about it this way: can you really imagine spending every moment of your personal life with one female? I personally cannot... I need the warmth and strenght of a man. Perhaps you just have not had the opportunity to feel extreme passion over a man yet because you have not been with one you are truly head over heels for.

The fact that you are focusing on it so much means it is an obsessive distraction mechanism. If you were truly gay, you would know it by now! If you have to keep questioning it to insessantly, my personal feeling is that it's not real.

Cancer is also an obsessive thought. I won't tell you what my scary thoughts are but trust me, I know what it's like to not be able to get a thought out of your head. It's amazing that we can allow our own thoughts to overtake us like this. I need to remember...thoughts, only thoughts.

kv93

Post by kv93 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful and i feel better knowing that others have had this thought too and that it means nothing

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”