Can't shake scary thought

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Pinkysupafly

Post by Pinkysupafly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:54 am

My anxiety popped up about three weeks ago. At first it was horrible I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't stand to be in my own skin. There were even a few times I asked my family to take me to the hospital to check in somewhere. I am already doing much better now, but I can't shake some obsessive scary thoughts. I keep thinking that I might hurt a loved around me now I know I never would they are so dear to my heart. I also keep thinking about it toward myself but even though I'm this way I LOVE my life. So that makes me have the one I thought that I am so scared of that I am going to go crazy. I can't get this one thought to leave me. I really need some advice on this does anyone else do this I mean some days it's with me all day. I am so afraid of this happening and I know that makes it worse to be afraid of it. I just need some advice on this please.

nervousfoot

Post by nervousfoot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey Pinky, First of all I can't believe no one has answered your posting and given you advice.

First of all, I have had anxiety off and on for over 30 years. It can be very difficult to deal with at times. But, to answer your questions about how you feel, YES. I have felt that way many of times. some of the thoughts I have practically level me and I struggle with them because they are so scary.

This is a normal symptom of anxiety. In your normal state of mine you wouldnt give these thoughts and second thought. However, an anxious mind and body will react to the simplist of thoughts. Believe me, I know.

My biggest fears when suffering from anxiety are going crazy, losing control, hurting others and myself. I also think about the universe and other deep things that normally produce wonder and thought. When going though anxiety, there isnt much wonder in anything, just fear.

You have to remember that anxiety is temporary. It only exists because you allow it. Your fear feeds it and it continues into a vicious cycle. I find just accepting these fears and thoughts as a temporary state of mind comforting. Oh yea, I have my moments but I dont overeact they way I once did.

Another thing, from what I read, no one has ever gone crazy from anxiety. Also, if you are afraid that you will do something to harm a loved one you will not. Its just your mind distracting you from some real issues in your life.

So sit back and don't worry. Your symptoms are common and shared by many.

Foot

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Hey Pinky,

This has been a symptom of mine as well. Lets get some fact as per scary thoughts.

1) Reality is every human has scary thoughts however we are a little sensitive and analytical than most. Not bad traits but when used in a counterproductive manner produces anx for us.

2) The problem is not the scary thought. It is how you respond to a scary thought.

3) The brain digests everything. Naturally we are sensitive to negative stimuli i.e. disturbing news events, movies..ect....

4) We must desensitize the thoughts with facts in writing.
Then write till your hand hurts. Respond rationally in writing and make peace with these thoughts. It's o.k.. We are human. Just a symptom ofr anxiety. Nothing more, nothing less. After you successfully insignificize we will rarely even notice when a thought of this nature pops in our head.

Take care and God Bless.....

nl

Post by nl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:32 am

Hi. I have a question for whoever may be able to help. I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for a while now. It seems I have about 4 or 5 that come up when I feel anxious. When you are experiencing these, do you feel that you are unable to rationalize. That you truly must be weird, or dangerous, or creepy (whatever your fear may be) because of ...then you find things or events to justify your feelings. I don't know if this makes sense but lately when I am having my scary thoughts, I find reasons that they have to be true. When I feel better, I can look at it and see it for what it is, stupid. But in that scary paniced pframe of mind, do you guys find justifications as to why you may be crazy or bad in yourself?

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi NL,

I have been affiliated with the program for quite some time now. Scary thoughts are one of my symptoms of anxiety as well. Your statement is that you were "weird, dangerous, ect..." is not reality. Reality is that the mere fact that these thoughts produced anxiety is pure evidence supporting the fact that you are incapable of carrying them out. Those who are capable find comfort in these thoughts and certainly wouldn't be posting on this forum reaching out for help. We need good solid evidence to dismatle these irrational fears. The brain digests everything i.e. scary movies, disturbing new events, ect... We were born sensitive and analytical. Not bad traits but when used in a counterproductive manner produces anxiety. I write the scary thought and challenge the thought with facts. You are currently following your scary thought with a bunch of irrational what if's... With patience and persistent effort it is not a matter of if you succeed it is a matter of when you suceed. E-mail me anytime for support. God Bless!! You are in the right Place!!

Mike

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:32 am

One thing that the program teaches us is that when obsessive thoughts come up it, it may not actually have anything to do with what is really bothering us. Its just a distraction from something we don't want to deal with, accept or think about. So next time you start to feel that obsessive thought ask yourself what is really bothering you right now? What is going on in your life you don't want to accept, think about or deal with. Once you figure that out you can set a plan of action for this. Also another thing is to figure out some how to make it seem funny.

Here is a great place to find some ideas or you could just read some of these when you get obsessive to help break that fear cycle.

http://bbs.stresscenter.com/ev...3105472/m/2401042702

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

hillbilly ma

Post by hillbilly ma » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 am

:roll: Is there any one that has had some scary thoughts about harming them self and planing to carry it out but you can't. please help with some ways to help to over come the thoughts . Any suggition . Thanks
hillbilly ma

PP

Post by PP » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 am

I can so totally relate to what all of you have posted here regarding scary thoughts. And, I think all of the advice offered is very sound.

Also, every time I go through an episode (and thankfully, they can be very far apart these days!), it seems like the only way I can crawl out is to constantly refer card #10, and finally, I just get really pissed off, make some verbal declarations, and decide to think differently.

What I don't understand, is why we seem destined to keep going through these same episodes over and over again in our walk through life. You'd think we'd learn after the first time or two! ;o)

Livingfromtheinsideout

Post by Livingfromtheinsideout » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 am

Hi Everyone!
I also have this symptom with anxiety and find it totally distressing. I know for a fact that my brain is sensitive because I will watch something or hear it in the news and I will start to obessess if I would be capable of it. My big obsession right now is about committing suicide. I love my life and my children and would never want to do it...but my anxiety is like what if?? Do any of you experience this and what do you do for self help? Thanks!

PP

Post by PP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:16 am

Dear Livingfromtheinsideout,

Of course I have! Just another thing in a series of junk to obssess about! Then, when you're done with that one, you'll move on to another one. And, you'll eventually come back around to this one! This is just the way this stupid game (habit) works.

Have you taken the program? If not, do. If you have, review your cards and self talk. We all have to work at breaking the habit.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”