Scary thoughts about 4 month old baby

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Ekn

Post by Ekn » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Hello, this is a little hard for me to talk about so i'll do the best I can.

Two weeks ago I started having panic attacks about my 18 month old daughter. Just worrying and having scary feelings that something would happen to her. Then last Sunday My mom and I watched 2 very depressing movies where the person in each movie died at the end. Then, it was like after that my panic attacks stopped and i stopped worrying about my 18 month old. Then that same night I took a vitamin called complex b50. Well later that night i was playing and talking to my 4 month old babygirl and the thought of the word death popped up in my mind. Then two nights later I was nursing her and I was all excited and thinking about my baby's first easter this year and this really has about scared me to death. I thought "this is her first easter" and right after that this popped up in my head "this may be her first but its her last". Like this creepy voice popped in my head or like it was me just thinking. It was scary. It makes me sick and now i'm fearing something is going to happen to my 4 month old. It makes me so sick at heart. I cry 2 times a day or more. I'm so worried i can't hardly function now. I've wondered if that vitamin did something to my system. Its just awful. Is this normal? Everyone seems to think its post partum depression or just panic attacks or my worst fears coming to the surface. It makes me so sick at heart. I love my babies more than life itself and my worst fear is something happening to them. Can anyone help??

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:10 am

Hi:
Well, I think I can assure you that your thoughts have nothing to do with the B complex vitamins. B vitamins are very good for the nerves.
You are just having scary thoughts. And that is all they are - 'just thoughts'.
Do you have the program?
Is so , try to work on it.
Jounnaling should be of benefit to you.

Babies are far sturdier than we think as a usual rule.
Try to start seeing your daughter in a positive view. Instead of thinking in these scary scenarious start picturing her as growing and
healthy and starting day school, hunting eggs,
taking dance lessons.
Change the scenes in your mind.
And enjoy the moment with her. Live in the moment and express your joy in her.
Write down all the wonderful things about your daughter.
You can change these thoughts with some effort.

Wishing you joy and pleasure in motherhood.
MJ

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 am

The scary feelings you're having are not because something is going to happen to your daughter. It's because you were too sensitized or overtired from some life event. You don't know how to handle the feelings of fear. Fear is a strong emotion that is not under our conscious control, but you want so bad to control it. You can't. So you had a "scary feeling" and the first thing that popped into your mind "Something is going to happen to my daughter." Not that this thought is not normal, it certainly is. People who aren't sensitized disregard those thoughts and move on. But because you were sensitized, you now have an obsession. You have tied this feeling of fear to the thought "something is going to happen to my daughter." How can you not have strong feelings? You believe this to be true.

No B vitamins have damaged your system, if anything, they have helped your nerves. We humans are so funny, we can't accept the fear feelings so we look for some outside source to blame it on. B vitamins, creepy voices in our head. You're going to have to accept that this is all you. The content of the thoughts mean nothing. Stop adding fuel to the fire. If you have a thought like that, leave it alone and go about your business. Until you accept the thoughts as normal and something you're doing yourself, you'll continue to have them.

Don't add a label to yourself, anyone can become sensitized at anytime. This board is proof.

Once you stop adding fear on top of fear that's already there, you'll begin to desensitize. Then, something amazing will happen, your old self will re-emerge.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks guys. I so much appreciate your input. It has helped me alot. Just out of curiosity..Have you all ever had a thought come in your mind and then it happen? Do you think its coincidence?

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 am

In answer to your question, I have never had a thought pop into my mind and then it happened. Never! I'm just not that powerful, nor are you. Thoughts are just thoughts and we are a sensitive lot. That's just how we are born. Derik has explained it very well. Once you begin to allow your thoughts to come and go without your attachment to them you'll find yourself more at peace. The thoughts are just thoughts. They have no power in and of themselves. So practice noticing your thoughts instead of reacting to them. Be aware but don't judge them. Right now you are resisting them. You can say, "Oh, there you are. You are welcome here." and move on with your day. If you find the thought persistent you will know that you are still resisting it. Don't judge that. Just be aware of it. Get on with your day.

Thoughts are not a call to action. Practice staying present. Practice allowing and the thoughts will become less and less and when they do come they will not stay with you long.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, I guess I mean does it sound psychic? I guess i'm starting to get my own answers though which is no I don't believe in that. *sighs* I've about drove myself crazy with all these things going through my head. I have thought things and then it happen. I guess its coincidence.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 am

Your scare voice is having fun at your expense. Stop thinking for awhile. Take a break. Focus on what you are doing in the present moment to keep out of your head. Use your breath to guide you and focus on that for ahwile. You are not talking about psychic abilities here. You are talking about your mind being very busy and conjuring up all kinds of things to keep you from the present moment. See this, and practice being present.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”