Weird things that cause me anxiety..help?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Katie_Lee18

Post by Katie_Lee18 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I get anxious when I:
take a shower, and get ready to take a shower
wake up in the morning
eat junk food
go for a run
work sometimes

but I find comfort in driving, a lot. Why do these things bring me anxiety?

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 am

Katie Lee,

It is really only in your head. You might have had an anxiety attack in the shower at one time and you may associate event with the shower. I know thats how it works with me.

Running is actually great for anxiety but i guess when you are in that anxious mind set it doesnt matter what you are doing.

Anxiety is a strange emotion. Its in us for protection. However, when it gets out of balance, it can be very disturbing and cause great discomfort. You have to remember that anxiety will not harm you. It will not progress to a more serious illness. Once your anxiety goes away, showers will be enjoyable again, like driving.

Verticious

Re: Weird things that cause me anxiety..help?

Post by Verticious » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:15 pm

I've felt that way about the shower and when I wake up. More so when I was starting the program and my anxiety got worse. I think it's because for one, in the shower, the warm heat and steam actually can shorten you're breathe a little bit so you think something is wrong during or after the shower, at least that's what I feel. In the morning it's probably because you're just waking up and you're tired and you may be thinking too much about being anxious or you're day ahead. A good thing to do is when you wake up just say to yourself, I am waking up, I am tired and I am going to allow myself to wake up and be relaxed. Junk food because of the sugar, running because you're heart rate is increased and all that. I think for the most part all of these things cause fluxuations in heart rate which is totally normal. When you sleep you breathe quicker and things change in your body. Just let your body do what it does because you know deep down that you are fine!!

gnugget1

Post by gnugget1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:19 pm

I had the same problem with the shower. The thing that helped me a lot was to put a radio in the shower or in the bathroom. It was enough to distract my thoughts so I could start to enjoy my morning shower again. For me, it was too much time to think and that got me in trouble.

Hope that helps.

michena

Post by michena » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:44 am

How to overcome the anxiety of leaving home for college? I'm leaving for college in about a month and a half and the anxiety is rather overwhelming. I've never left my parents for long periods of time in my life, and the thought of seeing them only 4 times a year is just depressing, even though the school is around 6 hr drive from home. I keep imagining the moment when we wave goodbye to each other on move-in day, and my mom starts tearing up. (I'm tearing up right now as I write this.) Is there anyway to overcome this anxiety?

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Well, this is a time for excitement and sadness. You are leaving the comfort of your parents home and their advice to a new place that might be a be daunting right now. It is great that you are only 6 hours away. I was 12 hours and no car my first few years. But it was more the climate change and many other things that made part of it harder. You'll do fine. You have StressCenter.com! I didn't have that nor any type of network that I felt comfortable with. So you will do great! Keep on posting. Paislee :mrgreen:

windows2011

Post by windows2011 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 am

I had a job that I loved and got paid great but I got laid off on 6/30/11, the change of not having that job, now I have to start all over again and get another job. I think the routine of our lives can makes us feel that way and like the person ahead of me said, "the comfort of home". We get use to what makes us feel good to be around and when that changes, we don't know what to do sometimes. You don't want that comfort to go away but you still have it, you still have your parents to visit . Life can be a challenge but once you are on your own and start getting involved in your education, you will feel better because you are creating your own comfort zone.

asammy

Post by asammy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 am

Michena,
I started getting my anxiety attacks while I have been attending college around my sophomore year (i'm a senior now!) and trust me - i have been there! Hopefully by now you have been able to have a supportive group of friends at your school, that is definitely what helps! Also, remember to take care of YOURSELF! That has been my biggest problem in dealing with anxiety is not being able to "find time" for myself but it is so important if you wanna get rid of anxiety. I wish you all the best!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”