Help please!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 am

Well, I have been through great stress over the last 3 months amd when I was at church one day a lady had said to me..."Omg, Some people could never handle this and they'd kill themselves" sooo...... guess what? Two weeks later when I was feeling sad going through the NORMAL grieving process hear came her words to haunt me and I was like "OMG" What if I do? What if I can't handle it and now the thought consumes me. I would NEVER harm myself or a flea for that matter... I get that obsessive thougts are a by-product of anxiety but I would trade this one for any other..... even thinking ahead to things I get the thought "what if I kill myself before then and don't live to see it" Scares the HELL out of me! Has anyone EVER had this scary thought? I have a great husband, 3 teenage kids, and a good life. So out of character for me and my counsler has NO worries at all... no one worries but me. Please give me any useful comforting advice! Please help me make peace with this thought!

PP

Post by PP » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Honeydew,

Yes, I've had obessive scary thoughts (including suicide) off and on all my life about everything you can imagine, and some things you probably can't.
The thing is... the very fact that these thoughts create anxiety in you, and vice versa (it's a vicious cycle!), is confirmation that it's not something you would ever do! (Those who actually pull that off find comfort and peace in their thoughts and plans up until their planned time.)
The fact is, for those of us who have to constantly deal with DAS (Depression, Anxiety and Scary Thoughts), stupid things that people say, or things we may see on TV, or stuff we might hear on the radio-etc., may come back to strike at a time of weakness.
Remember, YOU are in control. Float, don't fight. Hang in!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”