always something new and stronger

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
mack

Post by mack » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:49 am

I recently wrote in about my obsessions and haven't got any replies. My obsessions about not being able to be out of my head ever are stronger than ever. I think that's the base of these obsessions. I've got myself thinking literally that "every time I hear music or do other things that I enjoy that I'll always get the thought along with it that I'll be in my head and what's it worth if I can't enjoy the things I enjoy". I'm very stressed about this and it sounds so different than other peoples obsessions. Most obsessions I read on this site are about doing scarey things. Mine are all about thinking. What if I have picked the obsession that will never go away. Other obsessions have waned, but this one is strong and I feel a little hopeless and lost. Any thoughts? Any?

MC Grace

Post by MC Grace » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:11 am

oh, yeah--and another thing. try to find a way to laugh at these thoughts--
have you tried the "what's-the-worst-that-can- happen?" game?
also, take a look in the humor section in a bookstore or on here and get some chuckles in--your "dilemna" will start to become less of one. :)
I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13:6

mack

Post by mack » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks for your reply, I think.

pecos

Post by pecos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am

Hi Mack. You are obviously very concerned about these obsessions. Do you have a good medical doctor? Have you ever discussed this with your doctor? Sometimes we can handle these intrusive thoughts with distractions and self help programs; but if your obsessive thoughts seem to be beyond that, please see your personal doctor and discuss this. I wish you the very best.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:41 am

I wish I had something helpful to contribute here but alas I don't. You didn't mention if you are working this program ?? There are some very good sessions that deal with obsessive thoughts and how to handle them.

Mike239

Post by Mike239 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 am

I understand exactly what you are talking about and going through. It is rare and let me tell you why, because it takes a LOT of imagination to come up with this one. It is however, beatable. I use to go through the same thing. Every time I would enjoy myself in any way, my mind would come in and ruin it. It is because the FEAR here is having your mind come in and say NO you cant have fun. Every fear can be conquered. This one can be conquered with practice. Tell yourself okay mind, if you want to ruin my fun go ahead, but if your not going to do it right now THIS SECOND then stop trying and let me get on with my life! And once you beat it once, you will then know that you can actually enjoy life which will DESTROY the FEAR! Good luck!!
~Don't be scared of death, but rather a life unlived. We expect the worst all the time. Learn to appreciate everything no matter what, and happiness is sure to come.~

Mike239

Post by Mike239 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:59 am

And remember, it takes practice! It won't disappear overnight! But it will start to disappear slowly and discontinue to get worse
~Don't be scared of death, but rather a life unlived. We expect the worst all the time. Learn to appreciate everything no matter what, and happiness is sure to come.~

Emilie

Post by Emilie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Mack,
I'm hoping I can be a bit more helpful for you. As it is important for us ALL to see a doctor if our obsessive scary thoughts intrude into our life, it is also important for you to understand what your brain is doing, so you can put a stop to it. All obsessive scary thoughts, whether they be about hurting others, or your big toe hurting are all one in the same. If they scare you, then they have succeeded in being a scary thought. When you have a thought that gets stuck in your mind it's called rumination. like a dog chasing it's tail. Your brain has gotten stuck on something, that's all. There is also a form of anxiety called depersonalization. Feeling stuck within yourself. I too have had that fear. Although it seems strange to describe, it's a fear non the less. I have been working with a psychotherapist for a while now, and am fully benefiting. I am also on medication, which helps some and doesn't. That is your choice. Although your fear might be different from some of the fears posted here, you can benefit from a ton of the responses. Know that you are not alone, we all are dealing with obsessive thoughts. The trick to this is to put a stop to your ruminating mind. Treat this scary thought like any other scary thought. It takes a lot of time and effort to get off of this track, but you can do it! I would highly recommend working with a psychotherapist, as this has helped me TREMENDOUSLY. And, on a side note, if you start thinking that thought, look at it as if your panic attach is throwing you a rope because it wants to play tug of war with you. Mentally imagine yourself not picking up the rope and let the thought go. Tell yourself "this is simply just my anxious brain" and let the thought drift out. You might have to do this several times, but just keep up the work. Eventually the thought will not hold so much power to you. I highly recommend the book " The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It" by Margaret Wehrenberg.
This is a life savor. Best of luck to you! I know we all need it. You are not alone!
God Bless,
Emilie

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've
been working with a book called Freedom from Fear by Dr. Leibold and have gone about a third of the way through the program. I've gotten a lot of tools from this and for a while I was doing better then I started getting the obsession about not being able to enjoy music. I love music so of course that's where my brain goes when it wanted to scare me. I've yet to get over that obsession and now I've extended it into believing I'll always think "I'll never be able to enjoy anything, literally, because I have had the thought that I wont be able to enjoy anything". It's even difficult to explain correctly. I'm about to graduate college, I'm not happy in my relationship, and I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. College hasn't presented me with what I want to be. I know that stress is causing these new obsessions but I can't keep myself believing that they will wane if and when I get better. I don't know, I'm getting really scared that I'm entering into another big depression that I don't know if I can handle.

abbette

Post by abbette » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:34 pm

All of your wildest dreams are out there literally waiting for you to claim them as yours, you will have the life you want if you really let yourself believe you are capable of acheiving it, all its takes is choosing to see the glass as half full rather than half empty and you can shift all these negative thoughts to positive thoughts and shift your negative life to a positive life,,,i would suggest the power of the subconscious mind and mastering your hidden self the huna way you can find the on amazon if you type in those key words,,,

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”