Pregnant and scary thoughts

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Boon

Post by Boon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 am

There are a few things going on here, and none of them are dangerous.

Having a child can be scary. Raising another human being can be scary. It's a big responsibility but many have gone before you with this one so you know you can learn to relax with this. You were born with phobic tendencies. Hormonal changes in the body can trigger scary thoughts and anxiety - especially if you are prone to this - and certainly even if you aren't.

You are completely safe and so is your little one. I highly recommend that you set aside daily a time for you to listen to the relaxation tape and actively participate with it. (No falling asleep to it.) Then practice your breathing several minutes a day and really pay close attention to your breath. When thoughts wander in (and they will) gently bring your attention back to your breath work. Try breathing in and holding for four counts and then release slowly. Do these two things daily to give you a break from your obsessive thinking. It will help a lot in the long run.

Remind yourself that this is just your OCD. It is harmless. Do your best to not fight the thoughts. I know it's scary but if you can practice letting them come and go you will see that you have these thoughts less and less.

During your pregancy is a good time to work the program.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

Luli

Post by Luli » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:13 am

I am so glad I have found each one of you! This is so conforting for me. Today was a down day, i was down for most of the day, but when I got home and saw this messages my mood lifted me up! Thank you so much, and i will do exactly like you said! Thank you again and God Bless you always!

Luli

Post by Luli » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Hello guys! I just wanted to say that from this experience with anxiety I see life in a different way. i aprecciate things better. Being happy is the most important thing in life. Being free from fear, from scary thoughts is a blessing. I am not feeling better yet, but I wont give hope. i will do anything possible to overcome this, for myself and my baby. I am glad I found this website and people who really understand and always have something nice and conforting to say. I believe in God and the positive side of mind, and I believe God made me find this website! One night I was so desperate and woke up at 3 in the morning trembling, afraid, and asked God for a signal, and I found this website. Ohhh it was such a relief. I pray for all of us! Thank you again!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”