New here and feeling discouraged thought I had these thoughts under control and then!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
hopefloats

Post by hopefloats » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am

Hi I visited this site a few years ago while going through a rough time with anxiety and depression. I have the book but not the program. I started on Celexa 40 mg after trying ZOloft and it really helped me along with Xanax as needed. I havent had an episode of scary thoughts for a long time now and it happened to me recently again. I was really sick over Xmas, feeling reallly down after that and boom a scary thought. I have came so far and worked so hard and now I feel like this is going to be a life sentence again. Really needing some encouragement. I am a mother of 2 and really want to be 100% for them. I hate feeling anxious and hate scary thoughts.

Jody
Trust in the process of life

Karilynn

Post by Karilynn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Sometimes it can help to tell someone what the scary thought is. Do you mind sharing? I can assure you that I have probably had the same exact thought, as have many of us here.
hugs&kisses,
Karilynn

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Frank Herbert

"How you climb up the mountain is just as important as how you get down the mountain. And, so it is with life, which for many of us becomes one big test followed by one big lesson. In the end, it all comes down to one word: grace. It's how you accept winning and losing, good luck and bad luck, darkness and the light."

KC Lee

Post by KC Lee » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Jody,

This is my second day on the program. I have been off all meds for one year now. Zoloft was the only med that seemed to work for me, however it has some bad side effects. The Holidays seem to be the very worst time for me. I get so anxious with having to confront and entertain all the people. Perhaps the reduced amount of light has much to do with our feelings this time of year.

I also have two children. I try so hard to mask my depression and anxiety from them, but sometimes I am a bit short with them. I guess we do the very best that we can with the cards we are delt and never quit trying to hold a better hand.

I am interested in how the Celexa is working for you. Any side effects or restrictions? I'm not sure what you mean by a scary thoughts. I have unrealistic worries is this what you are experiencing? If it is too private I understand.

Keep your chin up, spring will be here soon and things will look up.

hopefloats

Post by hopefloats » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Karilyn, Hi thanks for the response. It is comforting to read some of these posts and not feel so alone. My scary thoughts are my worst fears of going crazy and harming someone I love. I know I am not going to go crazy and I know I would never hurt anyone especially my family but I just want to be normal and not have these STUPID thoughts. Funny thing is when I have my anxiety under control I have had a scary thought but I just ignore and move on, but when anxious I cant seem to do this and dwell on the thought. Im not feeling as bad as I have in the past, the medication really does help me, but I thought I was past all of this and here I am again. I had a really stressful Christmas, had a bad cold leading up to Christmas and then ended up with the stomach flu on Christmas day and couldnt enjoy christmas or my kids, this lead to a bit of depression, then felt some anxiety coming then bam today a scary thought that scared me. I am doing ok though, like I said Celexa has really been beneficial for me and if I wasn't on it and this happened I would be in a terrible a state of anxiety right now. I didnt even take a Xanax after it happened, but I do feel the anxiety, trying to not let it bother me.

hopefloats

Post by hopefloats » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:55 pm

KC Lee, I was on Zoloft before the Celexa. I did work for me for a while then seemed to stop being as effective. I switched Docs and then the new doc put me on the Celexa and this was 2 years ago. I found the difference amazing. I am on 40 mg and it really helped and still does. I don't notice any side effects except for night sweats occasionally. I am hoping I dont need my dose upped as I have had some recent anxiety and hoping I can get through it on my own without an increase.

Diggy

Post by Diggy » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:07 pm

I have found a lot of help knowing I am not alone and that soo many people have the same fears and thoughts. I too thought i was losing my mind for a while. I suffered anxiety after break up with my fiance in 1999 with a 1 yr old daughter at the time. After a good year ( no meds) i started to have a normal life again. It wasnt until theis past summer when i was buying a house that i started to have intense anxiety which got worse when i stopped taking my birth control pill. The program seems to help a lot by giving you all the steps needed to over come this condition. The scary thoughts are a distraction from something else bothering you. Maybe try and pinpoint what that is and you will be able to get back to your usual way of thinking. Good Luck to you.... God Bless

Sierra

Post by Sierra » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:48 am

Hello!
Hopefloats, I too have had the same problems with obsessive thoughts and it all started around xmas time 5 years ago. It started with panic attacks, then the feeling of some kind of dread that was unexplainable and that turned to be anxiety and then the thoughts kicked in which turned out to be the same content as yours, fear of harming the people I most love. With a lot of diligent research and practice I can say that Im as recovered as I think I'll ever be and that comes with tons of practice. My problem with obsessive "scary thoughts," turned out to be another version of obsessive compulsive disorder. The program is really good but it does'nt cover the obsessive/compulsive componet which a lot of anxiety sufferers have problems with. Also, the program is not a cure all which some people on this forum cant face. It also takes tons of work on your part, being prepared to accept that anxiety is "ebb and flow" and will come back into your life periodicly(sp?)to remind you that its there and to keep practicing at dealing with it when it comes up. As for scary obsessive thoughts, whether it be a fear of harming your children or wife, or sibling,etc; the web site and articles that really helped my obsessive problems with these horrible thoughts are the articles by Dr. Steven Phillipson, I think its (ocdonline.com?) anyways, the article is called, "Thinking the Unthinkable." also, "Speak of the Devil," if your religious dont take the titles to be related. The thoughts, with time, will be less bothersome because with practice, youll be able to deal with them better and soon they come less and less, and bother you less and less. Go online and research the fight or flight system. Learn all you can about how stress/anxiety effects the body and mind and youll see why we experience all these crazy symptoms when the anxiety gets bad. Also, this sight has a lot great people on it who have the same problem with obsessive scary thoughts and the anxiety that comes with them. As with me, they wont be shocked by some of your thoughts and have probably had the same ones. karilynn's ending quote is really good on the above post. I used to get realy down about this condition and a short stint on medication got me back on my feet and and I got off it and went to work, empowered myself, and realized life really does have its hard lessons, all this has made me a better person. go to the web site mentioned above, it will help you tremendously, it will also recomend some books too. good luck!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”