Scared of driving and feeling if "passing out"

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
jamanda527

Post by jamanda527 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:08 am

Hello Everyone,
I was just wanting to see if I could get some advice/support regarding my fear of passing out while driving alone!
My first panic attack actually occurred while I was driving to college and the first symptom that I had was this intense feeling that I was going to pass out! I've been to all the doctors possible and I'm completely healthy. And I have recovered so much alreadly. I just can't seem to get pass this feeling and fear of driving alone.
I was actually pretty excited last week because I finally drove for 35 minutes and quite a distance from my home alone!!! Then I decided instead of pulling in my driveway, I'll try to go at it again. I got about 3 minutes from my home, feeling great and singing to the radio and wham!! That intense feeling that I was going to "pass out" came over me. I tried to use my steps and calm down but I it just wasn't working. So I pulled over and came home. Of course as soon as I got here I was 100% better.
Now I'm feeling a little bummed b/c I have been working on this for so long and was making good progress and go a little further from home each time. Now since I had that feeling again, I can barely even go down the street and back. I feel like I'm starting all over again. I just want to be able to drive again w/o that intense passing out feeling overwhelming me. :(
It feels so good to write in all down though and get some others perspective. I talk to my husband about it but it's like talking to a wall. You really don't know what it's like till you been there and lived it. :)

JOHNMCP

Post by JOHNMCP » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 am

It has been a while since this was posted but I wanted to reply. I too have a fear of passing out while driving. I have had panic attacks while driving and it is a terrible feeling. I feel a since of unreality and I have to slow down and get a grip on myself. It sure is hard to do. I wish you much luck.

dulce

Post by dulce » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:18 am

Hey Jamanda how are you?? i understand you perfectly i could not drive not even half a blcok away from my house Jamanda, but now i am much better trust me jamanda, i probably did not drive for a long time, i suffer from panic attacks also, my biggest fear was having a hard attack or loosing control, it was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! i will used to call my bf and tell him i cant! i cant! i have to go back home, or i am loosing my mind or i am going to fainth or i will never get better but jamanda the miracle happen about a month ago before even driving i was feeling shaki my heart racing, dizzy it was horrible!! now i am sooo much better!! of course i get a little anxious but i no longer obsess that i will die or somethng listen to me please!!!!! you will not fainth have you even fainted???? if yes maybe it had to do with something else, and if you have not then you will not!!!!!!!!! the next time this happens sing, distract yoursef, call a friend, count cars, or pull over but dont ever feel like you are starting over sometimes a feel that this will come back, but i just have to keep going now that there is no danger jamanda!! ok you are your own safe person!!!!! REMEMBER FEAR FALSE, EVIDENCE, APPEARING, REAL!!! THATS WHAT FEAR MEANS!! you are doing great!!!!! keeep going best of luck see you around!!!!!

dulce =)

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”