Has anybody out there completed this program with success?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
paxcas

Post by paxcas » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:19 am

ok people, I'm new to this website even though I'm on week 4. So far I've only seen some really scary stuff people are going through. The program says this website is suppose to help us but it's just making me more stressed out and discouraged because it does not appear by what I'm reading that people are getting better. Has anybody out there completed this program and has recovered from there anxiety/depression that can give me a little encouragement?

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 am

I have not, yet, but I continue to work forward (sometimes with great difficulty, when I let my mind run over myself ;)), but have met and talked to many here who have. Some continue to mentor here, offering their stories and first hand insight to those of us following in their footsteps. Keep your chin up, remember change doesn't happen overnight or without effort and that we are here for each other. Give a hand when you are strong, take a hand when you are not and know you are not alone.

GE

Post by GE » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:38 am

There's a lot of people who have improved and have had a lot of success with this program. They just don't post as often after awhile when they start feeling better. My anxiety has greatly diminished. I'm on week 12 and plan to go thru the program again. Try reading the Triumph posts and cut back some on the ones that might discourage you.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:44 am

Hello, welcome to the forum. I've finished the program a week or so ago and I can't tell you how good I'm doing. I still have moments and maybe some bad days but the skills and knowledge gained through the program have really helped me and continue to help me. I am going through the program again and will start week 2 tomorrow. This is for me to re-cap and to get all I can from the program and many do it for the same reason. It's kinda like watching a good movie a 2nd or 3rd time, it's just that good and you can't get enough of it. And you ever catch yourself picking up new things from those movies that you didn't catch the first time? You get the point. I posted something a week or two ago called, This Place Causes Some Anxiety, so I know exactly what you're talking about. And it can. Some of the issues that people are dealing with can touch base with you. But, this whole program is based on eventually dealing with your fears and you being uncomfortable and dealing and handling it when you're ready. There are lots of great people on here with wonderful triumphs, look there. Also look for spiritual posts. If certain things upset you too much at this point, just pass them over and look at something else. And use your positive talk. Talk more with your group (the month you started) who are at where you are and see how they're doing and talk with them about how you feel. This program really does work. Remember that this place is for people to share their input, triumphs, support, and also to get help if they need it. Don't let it discourage you- Keep Coming Back!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:18 am

Dear Paxcas, I completed the program about a week ago and am a completely different person. I am free of any panic attacks and i can leave my house and drive any where, any store whenever i want, i could not do that a month ago. I started noticing improvement and feeling better the lst week. If the web site is depressing you dont use it, use what works for you. It is true what someone else said, the better you get, the less you need the site, at lst, you use it for advice and to see how others are doing, maybe listening to others problems is not your cup of tea and that is fine, stick to the program and use what is good for you and you will be just fine in no time. There are no absolute rules anyone has to follow.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:10 am

Paxcas, after reading so many posts it does make me wonder too.I am on #3 now , and it is making my anxiety worse. I think because I don't have time to work on it as much as I am supposed to. #s 1 and 2 did help my panic attacks. My divorce is final after 25 yr marriage,and I am feeling much better about it. I do have too many negative thoughts to journal. Would be writing all day.Most are about my ex-wife. Something is making me feel better though. I am going to keep doing the program. I do however see many who still have anxiety, panic, and depression. Louie Angelone

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 am

Hi, I'm Josie. I just started this program a few days ago. I agree that if some of the posts make you more anxious, just try and concentrate on the work materials from the center. My problem is not as severe as it was last year. I had a good doctor who prescribed some medication for six months and was very understanding. I eventually got better with family support and a strong determination to fight the anxiety. I am still not quite up to par, so I saw the TV ad for the center and decided to try it to get myself back to the person I was before I had anxiety attacks. I feel I will eventually be my old self after the program. After going through session one, it is starting to make sense that I am doing this to myself. But as they say--old habits are hard to break. So hang in there.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:31 am

I am not where I need to be, but I've come so far with the program. I can go to church, a doctor's appt, drive to town. I kicked a pack a day cigarette habit. My marriage and family are a lot happier. I'm a better wife and mother and daughter. I still have some trouble with thoughts- I have to do better about replacing negative thoughts and what if thinking, but I believe in the program and am going through it again.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:48 am

2 years ago as of last night I couldn't drive at all, was stuck inside this house for a year, and had panic attacks that dated back some 35 years.

I completed the program in late 2006, redid it in early 2007 for a refresher and broke totally free of all the above problems.

I started getting out of the house in Sept 2006, started driving again in late Sept 06, and my last panic attack was in January of 2007.

This past January I drove 2500 miles round trip from Indiana to Florida and back then turned around the next week and flew for the first time in 33 years roundtrip from Indiana to Florida for my dad's surgery in southern Florida.

I did all the above in 12 days. Traveled almost 5000 miles with normal anxiety, the kind that every human being has. No anxiety or panic attacks at all, driving was fun, and flying was something that I'd longed for so long and finally got into it again.

Does the program work? Yes, if you work the program as hard as you've worked anything in your entire life.

Everyday now is a great day! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 am

paxcas, I can so relate with you about wanting to see more results. YES. The program does work. Am I still having problems you bet!! You can be doing better, seeing an improvement and BAM, major stressors come and bigtime setback!! As you will learn it's not really a setback, it's a GROWTH SPURT. I've been in a growth spurt for some time now. Does this mean the program doesn't work? No! The program is great, the forums are great and just this morning the people from chat helped me immensely.

I don't know if David's post on here helped you but it sure helped me!! I need all the encouragement I can get!!

Some people overcome their anxiety in a short time, others like me may take years. However long it takes, I know I WILL get better. Also the things that have changed is I'm now singing up front in church on our praise and worship team without being a nervous wreck. I started a Karoke night in our town and have really enjoyed that. I have driven to my friends myself (4 hrs. away) for the 3rd time now. I did get lost when I had a friend with last time but that's because we were talking and I didn't have my driving CD playing to help me relax. I didn't break down and cry or panic like I might have done in the past. I calmly stated I knew we'd eventually come out to a road I knew and I did!! This morning I had to make a very difficult phone call. I listened to my lesson on assertiveness, was assertive and hopefully will get what I want/need. Point being, I felt good about what I did and I didn't get angry. What a relief that was!! Work the program. Look for positive, uplifting posts. You will see improvement!! God bless and good luck.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”