Fear of heights/jumping off??

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
happydancer09

Post by happydancer09 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:27 am

I recently felt this way too, lizajane, in a doctor's office on the 38th floor! omg!
can never go back up THERE again.

SeaRunner

Post by SeaRunner » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:06 am

happydancer -

I understand and share your fears. But the fact is, that you CAN go back. You're not going to jump. It's just an irrational fear. Try to recognize your obsessive thoughts for what they are. You are in control and just because you think it doesn't mean you're going to do it.

Be well,
Jamie
"Common things occur commonly. Uncommon things don't. Therefore, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." -- C.J. Peters

GaryC

Post by GaryC » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:14 am

I have suffered all my life with the fear that I would jump off a bridge. I live near San Francisco and would never, ever walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. I have literally asked friends to hold my hand when walking on an overpass over a road to be sure that I don't jump. I have been to the Hoover Dam and cannot go outside to the lookout area for fear that I would throw myself over the side. Frankly, I suspect that this is not simply a fear of heights. It is more and different than that. So, telling me to tell myself that these are irrational thoughts is not going to get the job done. It is not a question of height; it is a question of trust in myself (or at least that is how I feel it). Having said that, this is the first time that I have ever encountered others with the same issue and that gives me some consoliation. Thanks.

Icanmakeit30

Post by Icanmakeit30 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 am

Yeah this is a topic close to home. I mean I have suffered with Panic attacks and Agoraphobia for a while. I also studied Anxiety and ways to help reduce it. Mindfulness Meditation has helped me a great deal along with PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation). But as for the feeling of jumping, I don't need to be on the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate, I have this fear even on Escalators and high floors. Best solution is Gradual Exposure with a support partner at first then you will become Desensitized to the thing you fear most, God Bless and keep your head up!

Icanmakeit30

Post by Icanmakeit30 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:47 am

Additionally, I should add that this phobia takes time to overcome, it is not a 6 month fix, it takes support from others and a strong determination to overcome or at least improve oneself. Positive coping statements also help "As I continue practicing exposure it will become easier" good luck all........

perverse imp

Post by perverse imp » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm not sure I agree with those telling people they can cure this urge, just keep walking over the bridge. This is a common fear -- not a fear of heights but a fear of jumping. If I go into a high place, like the Empire State Building, I have no fear at all, as it is well protected from people trying to jump. I would have to try to climb a very difficult fence and I know I would never do so. But, I was in SF this weekend and my wife wanted to cross the GG with that very low barrier. No way!!!! Why would I put myself in that situation. If you have this fear start with a height that is less stressful and work your way up. However, I think there are deeper issues involved known as the Imp of the Perverse and I would think those of us with this issue need to address it with a professional. I have not yet, as I can live with not walking across the GG, but I'm now planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, and I am slightly concerned.

perverse imp

Post by perverse imp » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:45 pm

I just reread some of the posts above and Gary C struck me as someone like me. I talk about this openly and my friends and family even joke with me when we are in a high place -- in SF it is hard to avoid cliffs and overpasses. I was talking about it at work with someone and a co-worker came up to me and was astonished that someone else had it. He has suffered with it silently for years. So, we have a firm psychologist and I talked to him about it and he acknowledged it was fairly common and was even something observed in the animal kingdom -- as animals get older they stay away from cliffs and high places. Possibly a recognition of ones mortality and an evolutionary development gone somewhat off in our cases to avoid unnecessary risks. I would not seek to self cure it by putting oneself in dangerous places, I would avoid such situations or seek help.

FrannyD

Post by FrannyD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:18 am

I'm so happy I came across this web site. Last Sunday, Myself and my fiance` went to Hunter Mt. NY. to a Oct. Fest. He saw a Sky Lift going up a mountain, wanted to go I said no, I'm afraid, he ask the ticket person, "Would she have anything to fear." She children use it. I was embarrased so I went, going up I spoke to myself, saying don't fear children are on it. It was 15 min. going up, at one point very steep. I prayed. We got off at the top, walked around for 10 min. Going doing down was a nightmare, first the women didn't put the bar down, she screamed put the bar down. Now I focused on a cloud just looked straight ahead, then my finance` yells out, look down how steep it is. I started to panic, then like a jerk he say, let take your and started to move, I screamed JC STOP. Now I moved my head to the side, the cloud disappeared. Tried to control my sensations of wanting to jump. I still think of it 2 days later. I thought I was the only one with this fear. I'm glad I experienced it but I would not go again. Not worth it.

FrannyD

Post by FrannyD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:28 am

sorry for the incomplete sentence and type o's.
should have corrected before posting.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”