allergy phobia

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Deener

Post by Deener » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:36 pm

My only obssesive scary thought is that I will have a deathly alergic reaction to something, whether it be food, lotion, make-up, medicine, etc..

I have not ever been able to find out just what I am distracting myself from with this thought, unless it is just the fear of death.

I have a Dr's appt. to go see whether I have a skin cancer. That in itself it frightening, but the thing I am most scared of is having it removed and of having to get a shot of numbing medicine. What if I have an allergic reaction to the med. I also have a fear of panicking in the dr's office because I think I am going to die. I thought I may have been distracting myself from the fear of cancer, but since I have had this one scary thought for years, I nixed that idea.

I know it is unreasonable, as I have never had a bad alleric reaction to anything. I am just having a difficult time thinking positive with this one. I hope someone can help or at least share a similar story just to make me feel not so alone. Thanks and I hope there are no grammar teachers out there because that last sentence will make their hair stand on end. :)

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 am

Hello,
I just wanted to say that I have the same exact phobia. Iam so terrified of taking any sort of medication, or eating any new food out of fear of having an allergic reaction that will kill me. I was in the hospital three months ago and needed to take an antibiotic and I had a really bad panick attack while taking the pill.
I really wish I could overcome this, but ironically I developed some strange physical symptoms after taking that med and I still have those symptoms so now I don't know if it was a rare side effect of the medication or if I have something else wrong with me, but the experience doesn't make it any easier to take meds in the future, and this depresses me.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:52 pm

I have the same fear but im trying to let go of this now. The more u fear the more u panic. I am having a fear right now about passing out ir ead one persons story and now im freked about it its only thoughts i acn hardley elave the house im scared this wweeek im working on going out. i wont go out alone and i panic alot while out:(:(i spent a month in the hospital as well.:(

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”