this is my scary thought!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Chels

Post by Chels » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:07 pm

i have been an obsessive thinker for as long as i can remember. i used to go to bed at night and worry that i was going to die. at nine years old i worried about dying every night. since ive grown up my anxiety has become about different things in my life, mainly my relationships. lately ive been having scary thoughts like what if i kissed someone other than my boyfriend? i went out with my friends a few months ago, and i know nothing happened, but i keep asking myself what if i kissed someone else? and its driving me insane! my friends tell me nothing happened, and my boyfriend says he knows id never do it, but somehow i keep convincing myself that i have? its so wierd. im just starting the program, and so i hope it helps, but just wondering if anyone has any other advice? i feel nuts!

Don57

Post by Don57 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:20 pm

I can relate to obsessive thoughts. I don't know why we dwell on things but with time it always passes. Just ask yourself how realistic is this thought. Most obsessive thoughts aren't even anything that will ever happen. Good luck in the program!
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:29 pm

Oh my God! I know exactly how you feel. It is just awful, I know. But it really is as simple as turning that thought into something else. Also, when you are calm easily think about what might be causing it. It could be something that has no relevance whatsoever to that silly thought. Don't think 2 much, just let it flow as best and effortlessly as you can. Save your energy for getting well. Oh and if it makes you feel better, you're scary thought is not that bad. Mine have been so very horrid that it can't even be mentioned here. Lol But really you are not alone on this one- believe me

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Oh yes, I almost forgot, are you on any medication for that? I am now trying to get off of mine, but when I absolutely could not turn the thoughts off, I tried medicine and it did help alot. Now that it has served it's purpose, I am getting off slowly. I hope that helped a little.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm

stay true to the program, my scary thoughts are all gone now!

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm

I know the feeling all too well of an obsessive thought. You convince yourself of something and it doesnt leave your head for along time!! It gets better, with meds and positive thinking and changing the thought. This horrible thought of mine is slowly going away. Thinking about the same thing every minute of every day for the last almost 3 months is hard. but you get to see how strong u are and u know you will come out of it and everything will be ok. I look back and I NEVER want to be where I was. I got where I am from this program, meds, positive thinking, journaling, and therapy. Do not give up!!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:40 am

thanks for the support guys, it really helps when you see people that can tell you that your not going crazy. i just dont understand why i cant stop thinking this way? im almost convinced i have done something wrong and that im being punished for it? how do you tell the difference from reality to an obsessive thought? ive thought about medications but my doctor is hesitant to put me on them because he knows they can become addictive, and i would have to agree, i am afraid of them. i dont want to depend on a medication. but im going to see my doctor soon, and will definitely bring it up!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:59 am

I am copying the post I made yesterday regarding this exact same issue.
Trust me guys!! YOu can SO get over this!!

Hi there,

I can totally relate with all of you. I suffered for about three years with OST's. (Obsessive Scary Thoughts).
I can now say that this symptoms( because it is a symptom of anxiety) has subsided 95%. I say 95% because, everybody has wierd, sometimes disturbing thoughts, every now and then. The difference between a "normal" person and someone who suffers with this symptom of anxiety, is in the reaction (aka the POWER for the thought to keep recurring) to them.
THEY can NOT hurt you, nor will they.

Please do not get discouraged and keep practicing underreacting to them. It can seem hard at first, Trust me I was there.
I used to say, "But what do you do when it pops up every three seconds! Keep underreacting? Yeah right?"
I felt like such a VICTIM all the time. I'm not and never was. I was just telling myself that I was.
There is nothing wrong with you except that you are probably distracting yourself from something that is truly bothering you. (SOmetimes you may not know what it is or it can take you a few years! like me)
But once you figure out what is bothering you, then you can deal wiht that issue and stop scaring y ourself with untru thoughts.
My issue was/is being my own safe independent person. Knowing that only I make myself feel better and knowing that it's in my control.

The following website helped me tremendously with OST's.

<A HREF="http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-elimin ... &id=231502" TARGET=_blank>http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-elimin ... =231502</A>

Trust me. You'll be fine. Even if the thought pops up again, again, and again.. Keep UNDERREACTING. I cannot stress how important that is.
Eventually they stop coming and you hear from them less and less.
Also- You do not need to have OCD to have Obsessive Scary Thoughts. Lucinda taught me that and I learned that from many different sources. Some like to label it "Pure O" or "OCD" but sometimes its just plain old "ANXIETY!!"

Good luck!!!
YOu are all going to overcome this!!!!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”