Religious obsessions

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
kar

Post by kar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am

Hi, Im writting because i have religious obsessive scary thoughts that i feel are wearing me down. I should be a very..very..happy guy but this week I went to get the official street number for a house Im going to inheret but when i went to pay for the document and just when i turned around and saw the receipt to pay for the document my mind started racing with the follown obsessive scary thought [ everywhere hel* in } so I got scared that somehow magically that could happen to my house, so i feel scared that my house is now contaminated and more importantly the street number of my house which is probaly the most important aspect of a house. I feel like so alone because it seems no one has these type of thougths.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:14 am

Hi Kar,

I have had these obsessive scary thoughts as well over the last few months. They have plagued me over and over.

As others on this site will tell you the thoughts are just you scaring yourself. Why, is really unimportant as I am starting to learn and realize. I have been searching and searching for the magical pill or therapist to help me get out of this hell and type of thinking. I have come to realize that it is a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder without the compulsiveness. And the paradox is the more you think about the thoughts the more they stick to you and ruminate other scary thoughts. Which leaves you like a dog chasing its tail.

This program and some of Dr. Clair Weeks' books explain more in depth about what is happening. But regardless of the cause the solution in everything that I have read, heard or seen is ACCEPTANCE.
And for me it has been a very difficult concept to grasp.

Here is a link that has some really good examples of this type of thinking including some self-help techniques.

<A HREF="http://www.anxieties.com/ocd-what.php" TARGET=_blank>http://www.anxieties.com/ocd-what.php</A>

I have by no means conquered the art of acceptance but have started to see some glimpses of it actually working. Sometimes I get caught up in it and can't get out (usually when it is some new horrific thought) and have to pop a xanax but other times I can. And the fact that I have been able to get out of it on more than one occasion there is that feeling of hope instead of despair. And my feeling now is the more practice I do the better I will get at it and then the thoughts will either go away or just won't bother me anymore.

God bless to you and to all of the other folks dealing with this!!!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”