sudden fear of flying

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
curly1976

Post by curly1976 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:58 pm

all of a sudden after traveling for many years from Europe to the U.S. with no fear of flying, while visiting my family in NY this past Christmas I developed a strong fear of flying and it has almost been a constant obsessive thought throughout my vacation. On Monday I am leaving for Europe again and I get these crazy strong thoughts of something happening on my trip back that scare me to death and I cant seem to get rid of! Has anybody else gone through something similar? It seems the more I try to analyze it and tell myself that it is not logical, the more scared i get. Thanks..

James K

Post by James K » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Dear Curly1976, I'm familiar with symptoms appearing that haven't been there before. I've exhibited in the past some comparatively fearless behavior, that seems like a different person to me now. Keep plugging with this stuff, you're gonna be fine.

hunnie33

Post by hunnie33 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Oh wow! This one hits very close to home! I have flown since I was 8 months old with no problem but in 2004, I developed a severe fear of flying after a bad flight. I still don't fly. The last time I flew was to Las Vegas for work and that was in 2007 and I ended up taking Greyhound bus back from Vegas all the way to West Palm Beach, FL. It took me 4 days! I just ordered some books on phobias. I have to get over this. I just don't know how. I'm only on week one of the program so hopefully the program will help too! I flew to Jamaica BY MYSELF so why I am afraid now is totally baffling me. I don't have much advice but I can totally relate.
Anxiety is living in the future, Depression is living in the past.

curly1976

Post by curly1976 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:01 pm

isnt it the worst especially when things that didnt affect you before all of a sudden seem so scary? i noticed that it isnt only the fear of flying, but other things as well. a thought gets into my mind and i analyze it and over analyze it and it becomes almost unbearable. i keep reading different posts about how people have gotten over this kind of thing and i wonder if i will ever get over it sometimes..

AnxinTex

Post by AnxinTex » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 am

This is the biggie for me! I used to fly, not often, maybe 2-3 times a year with no problem. It's been over 20 years since my first panic attack and I haven't flown since. It's not the fear of crashing that scares me. It's the fear of being trapped in a situation where I can not escape. I fear I will be one of the passengers who freaks out and tries to open the door in mid flight, etc... Irrational I know, yet still real in my mind. At this moment in time I can not imagine myself in an airplane, however, others tell me that eventually I will be able to handle flying again. I have already seen progress and done some things that I didn't think I could so, so I am trying to stay positive.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”