Scary Thought/Spiritual in Nature

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Miami Mama

Post by Miami Mama » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:34 am

Okay, first of all, I want to say that if you are reading this and in a high anxiety state, don't read any further because I don't want to add to your fears.

I have had the following thought for years. It comes and goes, and I feel like a total nut case for even having the thought. I have always been fascinated by shows on haunted houses and spiritual matters. Well, I have this lingering fear of becoming possessed by a demon. It sounds crazy, but this thought just bothers me (Did anyone ever see the movie "The Possession of Emily Rose"? I know I shouldn't have!). Humor doesn't help in this case. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 am

Hello, you are not alone. I struggled with this fear also! Here is what helped me. Number one, if Jesus is in you, then a demon cant be in you! Number 2, if you are worried about a demon being in you, then its NOT! People who are possessed want the demon in them, they dont want to get rid of it. Also, to be demon possessed, you have to travel down a road of SEVERELY disturbing things. And about Emily Rose, that movie scared me too! One thing you have to remember though, that movie didnt show her life up until that point, who knows what she was into?? Anyway, you are NOT the only one out there struggling with this. I actually met 2 people today who have that exact same fear. I dont think you sound crazy, that is something that is very scary to many people. I mean someone who is possessed loves evil, I mean it takes a dark dark person. And dont let your mind convince you are a dark person!!! Everything is going to be okay, you are not losing it, I promise.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 am

I honestly have thought the same thing. Maybe not to the same degree, but I have many spiritual fears. (mine stems more from the fear of dying and wondering about heaven) What has helped me a lot is researching that kind of information. As well as finding my faith. I don't know if researching would make you more afraid or less afraid, I'm just telling you what's helped for me. I try and read books on spiritual things or talk to people who have the same fears. Also, I don't think that really happens. Maybe rarely (and I mean VERY rarely), but I would try and find out scientific reasons that that has happened to people. Don't know if this helps, but I'll be praying for you!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:42 am

I totally agree with Erin, I think it is something that happens VERY rarely.

derfy

Post by derfy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 am

It's ALL bogus!!!! The only way to finally set this behind you is to say: FINE. WHATEVER. OK - I'M POSSESSED. HAVE FUN. DO YOUR WORST.

Do you see what I am saying? Agree with this scare voice of yours. Then just keep busy in the moment. Don't give it anymore energy than that. Nothing. Use your breath to keep your pace slow. The key is to keep busy with something. Don't ruminate anymore. It WILL pass and the more you practice this the easier it gets to do.

Practice. You will see.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves...
who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be? --Unknown
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/loveyouguysWave.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/sigsAvatarsEtc/ValHeartsSmiHug.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/TheOneAndOnlyDerfy/SigTags/LynneCocoaMo-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 pm

also adding to what i said before...sometimes doing research on things and getting the facts will help you face the fear more! to me, the thing that scares me isn't as scary when i understand it. the unknown is the scariest!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:34 am

Boon said it perfectly. Accept and go on. Don't try to explain the unknown. I highly doubt someone possessed by a demon would be concerned with their thoughts or fear feelings. This is you doing this to yourself.

You get a flashing thought. Then you start building on it. "OMG. What if I'm possessed?" "OMG. What if.." Pay attention to the thoughts you add after you have the first thought. These are what you have to stop.

Once you stop adding fear to the initial fear. You give your body time to calm itself and see the truth. Don't be bluffed by a thought.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”