Constantly aware of my own breathing

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
mchirnc

Post by mchirnc » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:05 am

Hi,

I am a new member and have just started week 3 of the program. My main concerns are GAD and depression that started 8 months ago when my thyroid went out of whack. Also, my father passed away 3 months ago; so, needless to say 2008 was a VERY bad year for me.

My GAD and depression are somewhat under control with medications now, but I am left with a constant awareness of my own breathing. It may not seem like a big deal, but it gets REALLY annoying, and it is almost impossible to enjoy quiet activities like watching a movie.

I've noticed that a lot of the treatments in this program are geared toward breathing exercises, which just draws more attention to my problem. This particular "obsession" has been with me for about 7 months now, so the longer it lasts, the more afraid I am that it won't go away.

My counselor said that this probably developed as a way to re-connect to myself, and to come back to reality when I was having scary thoughts and feelings. Now it has become such a habit that I don't know what to do.

Can anyone please help me?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:10 am

I think the breathing is a way to ground yourself when you feel anxious. I don't have that particular obsessivnes, but I constantly check my pulse. I have to stop myself, which I don't always do, but I catch myself, stop, and tell myself I'm ok, I don't need to worry about my heart. And then just do something else to occupy my mind. I read books, or play on the computer. If I'm at work I find one of my fellow employees and engage them in a conversation, because I've noticed I think about it most when I'm alone.

Bryan De

Post by Bryan De » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:17 am

I do that sometimes too. Some days are worse than others but think of it this way, at least you are breathing. Sometimes I would think, well what if my brain forgets to breath...that's not going to happen. You just have to occupy your mind from concentrating on every breath you take. I used to check my pulse a lot too but I was able to overcome that.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:29 am

Watching yourself breathe has become an obsession for you because you're trying to control it. But breathing isn't under your conscious control, neither is moving your muscles, sleeping, swallowing. I could go on and on. You're trying to control the uncontrollable. Hold your breath for as long as you can, go ahead and try it. Put food in your mouth and chew, don't swallow, just chew, you will see eventually when you move food to the back of your throat, your body takes over and swallows it for you.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I will be blunt. This constant awareness you're referring to is you focusing on yourself, wanting control of your breathing. Your body really doesn't like this type of conflict. You need to do a few things. Accept this obsession as fear and bewilderment from living too much inside yourself and not enough in the outside world. Accept this and stop searching for something else to blame it on. Let GO of control, 100%, stop trying to control everything, just let it go and stop the anxious introspection. You saying you're afraid it's going to get worse is nothing but fear you're adding yourself, out of habit. Stop adding this second fear to it. Here is what I mean by stop adding second fear.

Your first flashing thought:

"My breathing is messed up again."

Fear you're adding:

"What if I have this obsession forever?"
"I can't watch a movie my breathing is so screwed up."
"I don't know what to do to get rid of this."

Is there any wonder you're feeling like you are? You are adding this fear all by yourself.

Accept this obsession, stop adding second fear to it, stop trying to resolve it. You know it's just an obsession. Stop studying it, anxiously observing it and adding second fear to it.

Do this and you'll be well on your way. Good Luck.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:14 am

To the guy Jim who wrote the advice that its whatever the cause when people start obsessing over their bodies there is usually a message somewhere to seek company, human animal plantwhatever. and to be more extraverted in our orientation. that advice was just what I needed today. and the tone was just right for me(might be a little harder for the ego of the person it was written for). THanks You JIm.
FG

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 am

PS FOr anyone who watch your breath whethr you like or dislike watching it, hatha yoga is a lot of fun- if foucusing on a feeling bothers someone too much, keep the pace and intensity vigourous. Its like walking meditation- they say if you start ot think too much you pick up the pace until you did the right balaonce between quiet mind and meditative motion.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:09 am

My therapist is encouraging me to listen to my breathing. He has me sitting and concentrating on breathing in and out, hearing the actual nasal sound and trying to focus on that for 10 min. at a time 2-3 times a day. When thoughts try to interupt my concentration I refocus back to listening to my breathing. He tells me this is a current CBT that is based upon the type of meditation that monks use and that the goal is to train your brain to dismiss thoughts and refocus your attention while listening to your breathing. I have only been doing it for a week now, so can't comment on it's effectivness.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm

I started the program last week, even though I ordered and received it last spring.
I was doing fine till about Nov. then started
showing a lot of symptoms I thought were heart
problems, but a week or so ago I knew it was
anxiety. I was so happy to go onto the peer
support group and find that there are actually
other people who have the phobia of being aware
of their own breathing!!! I thought I was the
only person in the world who had that problem.
I've had it for short terms during the years,
but this last week I am getting obsesive about
it. I'm okay if I'm out of the house and with
other people but when I'm alone with myself
it gives me great anxiety and panic attacks.
Any suggestions out there to help me?

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 am

Read this advice again.
Watching yourself breathe has become an obsession for you because you're trying to control it. But breathing isn't under your conscious control, neither is moving your muscles, sleeping, swallowing. I could go on and on. You're trying to control the uncontrollable. Hold your breath for as long as you can, go ahead and try it. Put food in your mouth and chew, don't swallow, just chew, you will see eventually when you move food to the back of your throat, your body takes over and swallows it for you.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I will be blunt. This constant awareness you're referring to is you focusing on yourself, wanting control of your breathing. Your body really doesn't like this type of conflict. You need to do a few things. Accept this obsession as fear and bewilderment from living too much inside yourself and not enough in the outside world. Accept this and stop searching for something else to blame it on. Let GO of control, 100%, stop trying to control everything, just let it go and stop the anxious introspection. You saying you're afraid it's going to get worse is nothing but fear you're adding yourself, out of habit. Stop adding this second fear to it. Here is what I mean by stop adding second fear.

Your first flashing thought:

"My breathing is messed up again."

Fear you're adding:

"What if I have this obsession forever?"
"I can't watch a movie my breathing is so screwed up."
"I don't know what to do to get rid of this."

Is there any wonder you're feeling like you are? You are adding this fear all by yourself.

Accept this obsession, stop adding second fear to it, stop trying to resolve it. You know it's just an obsession. Stop studying it, anxiously observing it and adding second fear to it.

Do this and you'll be well on your way. Good Luck.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”