Need Help!

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Livingfromtheinsideout

Post by Livingfromtheinsideout » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:43 am

Hi I am new here. I have suffered with anxiety for 8 years. I had it well under control for last 7 years or so, but this year I had a "break." I watched a Law and Order episode where this mother hurt her baby and I thought..."what if I do that?" It totally freaked me out. I have two beautiful girls; ages 6 and 1. I love them more than anything! But, since seeing that episode I have freaked myself out with what if thinking. "What if I poison them, stab them,...etc?" I feel like a terrible mother. Now, I am searching for answers as to why I am thinking about this...looking into my family history, etc. Can anyone relate and how do I learn to trust myself again. I raised my first daughter on my own for over 4 years! Now I am scared to be alone with them! PLEASE HELP!

DMP720

Post by DMP720 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:22 pm

hey hey
Dont worry!!! You are not going to hurt your children!! Do you have the program?? B/c Lucianda explains how these (very scary) what if thoughts really do seem so real..but they are only a distraction. Are you stressed..worried about the future..have a bad couple of days...pmsing?? These could all play a factor in how you feel! Please Private message me if you need anything!

Boon

Post by Boon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 pm

You will not hurt your children. You have obsessive scary thinking - that is all. You do not have to dive into your past to understand why you are scared or as to why you have this fear. You have this fear because you were born with a tendency toward OCD and scary thoughts are a side effect of this condition. You do not have to entertain these thoughts either.

Breathe into how you are feeling. Talk to someone locally - a therapist who can also comfort you and give you the tools you need to move through this.

You are safe, and so are your children. Tell your small child within this. Let her know everything is fine and this is just your OCD.

Allow the thoughts to come and go. They stay because you are resisting them. They are just thoughts and are harmless. I know they scare you but the thoughts will not hurt you. When you can allow them to come and go they will cease and/or come back less and less.

Get the program if you do not have it already. Read Howard Liebgold's Freedom from Fear. He focuses on this type of thinking and offers tools to help you move through. You can use this program and Howard's very well with a therapist, if you wish.

I'd like to add one last thing. The feelings of anxiety you are feeling will not hurt you. Nor will they make you do something to your children. They are just feelings, and any feelings you have associated with anxiety will not harm you. So feel these scary feelings. Embrace yourself and love yourself through them. The little girl in you needs that love. It's OK.
"Life is not about comfort. It is about living." Dr. Howard Liebgold

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”