Anxious at night...is it associated with Obsessive Scary Thoughts?

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
Abbey3680

Post by Abbey3680 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:18 am

I have a very hard time being alone, particularly at night. My fear is that someone is going to try to break-in my home and attack me. I don't think I obsess over it, I just feel very anxious when I am alone at night. Is the anxiousness from being obsessive over someone trying to break-in? I have been alone for the last 3 nights and I decided to stay home and face my fears. Last night I did not get any sleep. Some nights are better than others. I am able to challenge myself and stay at home, when I am alone. I do sometimes fall short and resort to staying at my parents or my sister's house. The downfall is that I do not get adequate sleep, when I stay alone at home. A part of me wants to get a roommate, for the company. On the other hand, I want to stick it out being alone until I am comfortable doing it alone. Is it coping out if I decide to get a roommate? I really want to become a more independent person and my own safe person. I also enjoy the company of others. Am I making an excuse to get over my fear of being alone? or is this legitimate? I just ended an 8yr relationship that I was very dependent on.

Emilie

Post by Emilie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:33 am

Abbey,
I understand your pain. I have found throughout my experience with panic attacks and scary thoughts is that they come alive at night. The only thing I can think of is that they come at you when you are most vulnerable which I believe being sleepy is one of those moments. Have you tried the relaxation tape? I have found that this really helps me at night. I am currently married and dependent on my husband when it comes to being alone, but as you said, I am trying to be my own safe person. Keep working on that, and don't feel like your alone, or coping out if you get a roommate. Most of us enjoy company, but it might be a good idea for you to feel 100% comfortable with being by yourself. What your experiencing is simply a scary thought. Take it and say to yourself "this is just my anxious brain, not reality" and then focus on something else. For instance, focus on what your going to wear tomorrow, what colors, what cut, what looks good on you. This is just a good way to "distract" that scary thought and subtract any type of power over you. I hope this helps, and please know you are not alone. I'm sick today and at home. I feel anxious just being alone by myself, but I'm working on it.
Bless you and best,
Emilie

Abbey3680

Post by Abbey3680 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 am

Hi Emilie,

I do listen to the relaxation tape, not as often as I should. I have found that it does help to relax me at night. When I'm alone at night I hesitate to listen to the relaxation tape because I feel that I have to be alert. I can't let my guards down. Sometimes I force myself to listen to it at night, before bed when I am alone. My ex is still under the same roof with me, until they relocate. When that happens, I'm really going to try and give it my all and stick it out alone. If I find that it becomes too overwhelming, I will look for a roommate. Since I joined StressCenter, I do find solace in the fact that I am not alone. There are people that share similiar or the same struggles and challenges. I'm thankful for such a place, I'm also thankful for your comments and encouragement.
Originally posted by Emilie:
Abbey,
I understand your pain. I have found throughout my experience with panic attacks and scary thoughts is that they come alive at night. The only thing I can think of is that they come at you when you are most vulnerable which I believe being sleepy is one of those moments. Have you tried the relaxation tape? I have found that this really helps me at night. I am currently married and dependent on my husband when it comes to being alone, but as you said, I am trying to be my own safe person. Keep working on that, and don't feel like your alone, or coping out if you get a roommate. Most of us enjoy company, but it might be a good idea for you to feel 100% comfortable with being by yourself. What your experiencing is simply a scary thought. Take it and say to yourself "this is just my anxious brain, not reality" and then focus on something else. For instance, focus on what your going to wear tomorrow, what colors, what cut, what looks good on you. This is just a good way to "distract" that scary thought and subtract any type of power over you. I hope this helps, and please know you are not alone. I'm sick today and at home. I feel anxious just being alone by myself, but I'm working on it.
Bless you and best,
Emilie

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”