Obsessing about Pins in foot

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
sempercat

Post by sempercat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Posted October 10, 2009 11:22 AM
Hi, everyone!
I just had surgery on my right foot and they put pins and a plate inside my heel because it was crushed when I was involved in a auto accident. I keep obsessive about the pins and plate since they are now in my body and I can't take them out....
I know this is an irrational fear and I keep telling myself that they are there to help me so that I can walk pain free.
I must also add that I have been with The Program for several years, about 15, and it has helped me tremendously when I am expreiencing depressive/anxiety episodes my life.

After the accident I couldn't put weight on either of my feet and have to rely on my nurses to help me get around. So I was fully functional loved to drive, been busy, etc. and now I am limited to a wheelchair. Luckily in the next few weeks I will "graduate" to a walker or crutches.I am home most of the time since I can't drive, walk, etc. and these thoughts occur constantly. If I was working and active I don't think they will occur so frequently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

TDub

Post by TDub » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 am

Hi, Sempercat!
I too have had surgery (twice) and had pins put in my right foot and also reconstruction of left ankle (from car accident). Trust me when I tell you that you will NOT have problems with the pins or plates in the future when you are all healed up--if not for the scars I have left from surgery, I wouldn't even think about it now. When you are thinking thoughts about it, just try to think to yourself that those pins and plates make that area of your body much stronger now (you're bionic!) and will help you in the future to be able to walk and function normally. I have never, EVER had the pins or plates that I had surgically implanted give me pain; nor am I even aware of them or can feel them in there. So just try to relax (easier said than done)... they will not hurt you--they will only make you better and better and enhance your recovery and quality of life later. Think of folks back through history who didn't have the benefit of such devices and suffered for the rest of their lives because they weren't able to have pins and a plate put in to repair an injury. We are lucky that science has advance so far.
After you are all healed up--they will not hurt you, you won't even be aware that they are there. They will only help that area of your body heal up and become strong again!
I hope that helps!!!!

sempercat

Post by sempercat » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:46 am

Hi, TDub,
Thanks so much for your input it has meant a lot to me. Sorry I didn't contact you sooner my computer wasn't working....Yes it is true that we are living in a time where medicine does cause us to live longer and in a lot of cases pain free. I take a lot of meds for anxiety and depression and I don't know what I would do without them...but I hope to wean myself off of them eventually. Or most of them. Thanx again for all your input!
All the best to you,
Sempercat :D

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”