need some reassurance

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
lbsigs

Post by lbsigs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 am

Hey guys- So i've been here before, but it's been a while. I had gotten alot better with my anxiety and scary thoughts for a good couple of months- even got off of my medicine. But, now it's back- I'm back on my meds- have been for about a month and a half, and they still don't seem to be working. It's weird, becasue I know what the scary thoughts are- just thoughts, so they shouldn't scare me anymore, but they do- still- and they are sooo scary to me. I can't ever seem to relax. It's like this nagging thing that never goes away. I have all of the skills, but for some reason it seems harder this time to put them into play. It's totally wearing me out. Words of encouragment? I just don't want to go backwards anymore. And I really need to find a good therapist here, but don't know how to find one that specializes in this type of thing. If anyone has any info on how to find a therapist, please let me know.
Thanks!

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:09 am

If you are willing, I highly recommend exposure therapy. You can find one in your area or you can purchase a book by Dr. Howard Liebgold called Overcoming Fear. Excellent source in overcoming what you are describing. We phobics can read and study until we are blue in the face but not until we actually dive in and experience the fear in relationship to the thoughts do we really recover completely. What you have is cureable! Learn to be unafraid of the feelings. Start welcoming them in. Stop judging them. The feelings are harmless. Adrenalin will not hurt you. Learn how to be with these sensations and at the same time use your tools to move through the fears that may arise (and they will) but you are prepared now and YOU CAN HANDLE IT.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:56 am

Thank you so much! I did alittle bit of exposure therapy with my therapist in Atlanta, but then moved to Greenville about a year and a half ago and don't know how to find a therapist in the area that does the same thing. I'm definitely going to get that book though. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”