One option for dealing with scary thoughts; it's religious

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
luvpiggy

Post by luvpiggy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:58 am

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's one way that I've started to deal with scary thoughts. If I have a scary thought, instead of focusing on myself and what would my life be like if the scary thing happened, I start to pray for someone who is really experiencing the tragedy. I may not know of a specific individual, so in general I will just pray to God to help someone who is experiencing the tragedy at that very moment. I don't think it is a cure, but I feel like I am using something negative for something positive. I have less of these scary thoughts after doing this program, etc., but last night I found myself having a scary thought, and so this was the way I dealt with it, and it seemed to help:).

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 am

That is a good suggestion. I'm going to try that next time. I think prayer is powerful. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:44 am

Hi, I am very new into my program and all I seem to have are scary thought which seem to throw me right into fullblown panic! It seems that the episodes are happening more frequently or is it that I now know what was happening whereas before I did not. Help anyone? :?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Hello everyones,
Luvpiggy, that is a fantastic idea and I need to try that myself.

Trice, (and everyone),
I too experience scary thoughts which cause my anxiety followed by the depression after some time. I can say if I can eliminate my scary thoughts my anxiety would be behind me. To no avail my scary thoughts keep returning.

What you have to remember is that they are only thoughts. They can't hurt you, although they are quite disturbing and are causing our anxiety. We have over-active imaginations and I don't know anybody else, but I can think up of some doosies if you know what I mean.

Don't try to stop them. The more you try to stop those thoughts, the more they cause that emotional response which in turn causes us to remember the thought even more. Just try to let it go through your mind and realize that it can't hurt you. It's only a thought and everyone in this world has those same thoughts. It's easier said than done, but you can do it. Just float with it and it will go away. Try to find humor in it (as hard as that is).

Keep working at it and sooner or later your panic will go away and over time so will your anxiety.

Take care.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:52 am

I will have to try this and see if it works foe me too. Thank you!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 pm

I know how all of you feel. I lost my mom, my uncle, my grandmother, and my dad (who is alive) had 2 heart attacks all in three years, so now every time I have any symptom I think I am dying of cancer or heart disease. I have worn myself out. But none of them took precautionary measures, so now I am like "oh I am going to catch stuff before it is too advanced." It keeps running me in a cycle. I have heart palps, and muscle weakness...but nothing wrong...the funny thing is...i keep thinking if one of these times I don't go in and get it checked, that will be the time it will be something bad. Good thing my lesson this week is on what if thinking huh? I guess like they say, sometimes you just have to use some humor. Wishin you all the best--Ezra

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi: I am also in my second week of work with this program and testing the waters a little. My worst problem is driving any sighificant distance from my safe area, and I know what you mean when you say scary thoughts invade your mind. Believe it or not, I have opted to bring along the relaxation tape and that seems to help. It reminds me that I can float through an episode and become calmer more quickly. I may have along way to go, but for the first time I can see some hope. May you all experience the peace that I hope to have.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”