Obsessions about the existance of God

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:39 pm

Sorry about this, but Lucinda says to speak your mind. :)

I don't understand where this repeated need to trash evolution comes from. Michael Behe (who was quoted) has been discredited. Most of the books you cited have terrible reviews on Amazon.

I'd have to read up more to discredit your other arguments, but the one I can do off the top of my head is the "transitional species" one. It's like the Kirk Cameron/Crockoduck one. There are no transitional species because every creature links from one to the next. If you were to use photographs instead of fossils as proof of my development, I could show you a thousand photos of me as a kid, and a dozen of me as a 34 year old. But I could never show you a single one of me transitioning from that kid to the 34 year old.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Don't watch the movie Expelled. Smiler

Excuse me, that was a great movie and full of good information. If someone wants to watch Expelled they are certainly welcome to and don't need to be told not to.

<A HREF="http://www.expelledthemovie.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.expelledthemovie.com/</A> The movie is available as a rental.

I would never come on here telling people not to watch a certain movie. People can think for themselves here thank you very much.

Another wonderful resource is "Incredible Creatures that Defy Evolution" <A HREF="http://www.christiananswers.net/catalog/incredible.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.christiananswers.net/catalog ... le.html</A> I found all the volumes at my local library.

One should thoroughly search every angle until they can reach their own conclusions.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:27 pm

I would never tell people what to think or not to think (although, admittedly, I did tell someone not to watch Expelled).

I apologize for my suggestion. But to defend my own point, I would further suggest that if someone takes the time to watch Expelled, they should also take the time to visit this website.

<A HREF="http://www.expelledexposed.com/index.ph ... /evolution" TARGET=_blank>http://www.expelledexposed.com/index.ph ... olution</A>

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 am

Doogie,

No need to apologize for what you think or believe. I was not trying to trash evolution so much as to point out it has major weaknesses as an all encompassing theory of life. Much of it is theory, not fact, since much has not been scientifically validated through reproducing the results which the theory espouses. But, I don't hear evolutionists objectively pointing out the weaknesses, only the strong points.

In my view, and I understand it is not yours, they are not objective in their views. They view objective, material evidence through a filter. They claim their theories are based on science when in fact some are not. The "science" can not be reproduced to support the theory. Such as how did life begin from dead compounds? There are two theories I am aware of, but neither is viable even to those who have proposed the theory. In my view, that is not science but theory and hypothesis. It is a "faith".

Yellow Rose

Post by Yellow Rose » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 pm

WOW...I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my post. Even though this is an "obsessive" thought topic for me, it is still a rational thing to ponder. I just do it way too much as usual. But I really do appreciate everyone's response. So I guess my issue is not whether evolution exists (it obviously does), but if it happened just by chance or by God. This is a question that will probably always be argued, I'm just trying to feel confident in my belief of God again. I was never really a religious person, just more of a spiritual one. And I'm just trying to find that again. Thanks everyone.
Before you do anything, ask yourself..."How do you want to be remembered?"

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:11 pm

MissObessive,
Your obssessive thought about evolution and God really is not the problem. The problem is your reaction to it. The real fear is the anxious feelings and what if they never go away. Just ponder this while you are going through your fear and you will see. You could pick any topic and get obsessive about it. Infact, often we go from one topic to another.

Make it a nonissue. It doesn't matter one way or the other (for the purposes of your healing) if evolution does or doesn't exist. Many of us believe it does. It's very obvious, however, what you are dealing with is a belief. It really isn't important what the truth is in order for you to heal .

Find your peace in that. God loves you know matter what you believe. As I said previously, one can not exist without the other.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Yep, I totally agree with this. For the sake of getting better, it doesn't matter if we evolved from clams or were put here by God. What's important is that you get your thoughts under control, and it sounds like you're on the right track...

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 am

Missobsessive,

Just read your post concerning the existence of God. I am 56 years old and i have struggled with this for at least 35 years. In a way, I think alot of my anxiety problems are derived from this conflict.

I still pray but my faith is not that of a child anymore. I believe and I don't believe. It is something I will question for probably the rest of my life.

I was raised in a strict Catholic School environment and family. Losing my faith was a crushing blow. I have got some of it back but it isn't what it once was. I feel your pain.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm

many people who have anxiety conditions think this way. maybe you can have more faith than here in believing in GOD.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 am

Yeah, I can honestly say that my belief is no longer that of a child...I wish it was! I can remember just 'knowing' and 'feeling' that it was real.. I've been reading the book, "The Shack", and it's really been making me PONDER not obsess :), but it seems to have helped some.

I'm not obsessing on this anymore...I've moved on to other topics of course :). But thank you all so much for all the encouraging posts. You guys are all so very helpful.

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”