HELP - Is it possible to just STOP breathing, scared to death.

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
paul43

Post by paul43 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:31 am

well its today i see the shrink lets hope i get some anxiety meds from her. i have trouble getting to sleep with my daft retarded mind.
i think how i have fallen into this trap is from not being able to talk to anyone and i get everyones problems and i take on there worrys cos i believe if i do the worrying for them they wont get it. when i see my mum she gives me her problems about my brothers and when i see each brother they either complain about each other or my mum and well my dad hes just for himself and he tells you how ill he is when its depression or something or anxiety. its crazy. i think with my family taking advantage it has led this to carry on to others who i meet they come visit and want there taxis paid and to have beer to drink or woteva and this carries on till i get sick and ignore them. i think its a shame that my daughters mum didnt understand about me when i told her to find someone else which she did because in the past i have this idea that if someone loves you or cares for you they will help you and wait this has never happened in my case and i doubt it will happen in the future. if i cant stop my family doing it to me what chance have i got of others doing it. its no wonder i have the feelings i do about being left or abandoned as the people i loved or liked a lot either left me or didnt like/love me back

berengar

Post by berengar » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:24 am

Paul,

you are 'shoulding' on yourself! 'I should do this or that...'. You don't need to carry anyone's problems. There is definitely a line between being supportive and being abused by others (not in the physical sense, but people learn to use you). Get off the guilt treadmill... you are not responsible for carrying the problems of others.

Also, I recommend you think and speak more compassionately about yourself. It may seem silly, but thinking bad things about yourself can really keep you trapped in a life of anxiety and depression. I think you would do very well getting in the habit of telling yourself you are smart and capable instead of retarded or stupid! People don't fully realize how much their own thoughts about themselves can affect them. Even if you don't believe it, please start to think better things about yourself. This has helped me so much.

paul43

Post by paul43 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 am

well success the shrink has decided to put me back on my anxiety meds its just now i have to wait for her to tell the doctor and then get a script she said it may take a week. so fingers crossed i hear this week. and she is upping my sertraline to 200mg i think that is what is known as zoloff or something. i feel better now someone has took notice. i told her about my breathing worry and she explained it by telling me what the brain does and told me to hold my breath to see if i could stop it then she did the same thing and all was good. i feel a little more less nervous now but my head is pounding. and she shes me in january with is only 2 months and not the usual 3 so alls good

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:04 am

Berengar, I am finding your posts so comforting. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom.

berengar

Post by berengar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:37 am

Oh, that makes me so happy to hear! I am almost 30 and I have had some specific fears (like the breathing one) off and on since I was 10. I felt like it was about time to find some real answers and start living in reality.

I find it so amazing how after all these years of thinking I was alone in the way I think, so many others think and feel the EXACT same way! Sharing my thoughts here has helped me so much.

Please feel free to share your own thoughts or questions!

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:55 am

Aww, thank you :) I'd like to work on getting feelings out vs holding them in.
I'm 33 and have also had anxiety since a young age. I remember as a kid there were these commercials about asthma that showed people having asthma attacks, and I'd have to leave the room or bury my head because I was so terrified of not being able to breath. It's amazing how much that sensation can overwhelm!
I started having actual full blown panic attacks in university, and wonder if it was because I was in business and felt like an imposter there? My friend's mom said "how are you in business when you can't even decide if you want a cookie?" hah. I always wanted to do something in psychology...
You said you are in the process of taking risks and following dreams...what are your dreams?

paul43

Post by paul43 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:20 pm

well i had a day or so ok not too much thinking about my breathing. but its come back again. i had been in the house since beginning of week but i had to go shop to get milk so it broke the boredom of being in the house on me own. i not heard from drs yet hoping to hear very soon next week im going to ring them monday. i was talking to a friend today about stuff in the past ive mentioned in my posts and he more or less said i must have been interested in wanting to watch a guy wank and have him try make me touch his privates and the dirty old perv. its seems to be the trend that conversations i start end up biting me in the ass so i think ill go back to shutting up. i think i shouldnt have went to the counsellor now as the hurt is coming all the time and i even dream about it. where is the end?

berengar

Post by berengar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:34 am

Paul,

I can assure you that keeping things inside is not the answer. You don't need to always talk things out, but you need to face things that really occurred in your past.

Maybe you could write in a journal instead. A lot of men seem to frown on this because they think it is silly, like a teenage girl writing in a diary or something. But it can be VERY theraputic.

Don't give up. I think you should try StressCenter program. It has changed my life and you don't need a therapist or counselor. The CDs walk you through all of the steps, but you NEED to go through all of the steps. I think you could benefit from this so much.

Thanks Shelly for asking... I am in the process of considering a career change, which is causing me to feel anxiety. I am telling myself this is excitement, not anxiety, and that helps a lot. We are the creators of our own destiny. We are capable of anything, we just need to learn to push ourselves to what we are really capable of.

berengar

Post by berengar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:35 am

I'm so sorry Sherry, I called you Shelly in the laat post! I guess I'm tired :)

sherry2010

Post by sherry2010 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:47 am

Hi Paul, I know it feels "safer" to hold these things in, but I believe it hurts us more in the end because it just festers inside of us. You just need to find the right ears. Your counsellor will be a safe person, and here is a safe place too because we are all have different life stories but are struggling with the same things. Your "friend's" reaction I'm sure was discouraging, but please don't let it deter you from working on the important stuff for yourself. Part of the process is learning to be less reactive to other people's thoughts about us...something I'm really looking forward to...I feel like there's so much freedom and peace in that...

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”