Hypochondriasis

Are obsessive scary thoughts ruling your life? Do these thoughts seem beyond your control? Here’s how you can quickly address them and begin to feel better.
moonie91

Post by moonie91 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:35 pm

My obsessive thoughts involve my health. I was exposed to a bat nearly a year ago and I was obsessed for weeks that I had rabies. This fear resurfaced several weeks ago. It was so bad I went to the doc just to confirm that...no...if I had rabies I'd be dead by now. We get bats in our home every summer and haven't been able to seal them out..so they'll be back. I am able to get rabies vaccine but I worked myself into such a state the other day...I actually have the vaccine in my fridge right now but I've been putting off getting the first shot...now I'm worried about a reaction to the vaccine. I've never had a probelem with vaccines, so I know I am just obsessing...obsessive scary thoughts suck! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Oh my! Rabies! I had a rabies scare myself. I was working in Moshi, Tanzania and a friends pet nipped me - I went to the local clinic and because the dog was owned and not a stray, which are common, they opted to not give me a shot (in Tanzania, they are about the size of a pencil and very painful).

I came home 5 months later and my GP couldn't believe I didn't get one, esp. since rabies is rampant in the sub-saharan strays population. It's true though, if you were going to get rabies you would have certainly gotten it by now - it can't live in the body for more than about 4-6 weeks before showing symptoms, even then most people have some sort of symptom within the week of the incident.

If you want to take the vaccine, take it, a reaction is highly unlikely but it may make you a bit sore and it hurts more than the average poke. Honestly, as an RN and someone who has had this experience, I don't think it's necessary but woe is the obsessive thought!

Good luck my friend!

Return to “Session 10 - How to Address Obsessive, Scary Thoughts”