Praying positively

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
mgp

Post by mgp » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:05 pm

I was thinking about how I pray after listening to session 3. It seemed that my prayers were negative, more than positive. About keeping me and my loved ones safe, helping people who are ill and their families and helping people whose loved ones have died. I didn't really realize how much that all sounds kind of negative. I do say I'm thankful for my blessings, but wonder how to make my prayers more positive.

IMRD2CHG

Post by IMRD2CHG » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi,
I remember several years ago when my husband & I were youth group leaders there was a lesson on prayer & they suggested using the following acrostic to help jump start prayer & to also be sure to include something other than just requests...
A - Adoration; giving praise to God for who HE is
C - Confession; get the conscience clear (don't allow yourself to dwell here either - ask God to bring to mind anything that needs to be cleared up & then move on)
T - Thanksgiving; expressing thankfulness to God for blessings you enjoy (health, family, job, friendships, answered prayer, church family, food, shelter, etc.)
S - Supplication; the bringing of requests for yourself &/or loved ones/friends/whomever before God.

I have found this acrotic quite helpful over the years. I'm usually not much for a "formal" or set aside time for prayer, but when I do, I often follow this. It helps me remember to include praise & thanks in my time with God.

JSM

Post by JSM » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:14 am

How about listing or praying about all the things you are grateful...big and small. I found this changes my prayers.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”