generalized anxiety sufferers

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
recovering

Post by recovering » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:20 am

OK. I'd love to know how GAD sufferers are doing with the program and how things have tracked for them. I'm at session 4. But my GAD is also tied to my cycle with 2 weeks of every month being the more difficult times for me to handle the anxiety. My understanding is that GAD takes longer to overcome. I'm wondering how folks have fared.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:59 pm

i have had panic attacks for the past 15+years, but then i got GAD 3 months ago. Wow i thought panic attacks were bad. GAD is unrelenting. But i think the program is helping at least starting to. (i'm also on meds) but i really think it's more the program. I can see how GAD would take longer it's just with you non stop through every waking our. I am finding that i notice it's a little less and then i notice i can tolerate some things more like the news was really bad, now i can't watch it too much, but i can a little. anyway i'm on lesson 3. and hoping it gets better.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:50 am

I have also been diagnosed with GAD or this is what one of my therapists told me a few years back.. I always turn the news off and I often think how can these people report it day and night it all seems like bad news to me. Death, fire , destruction and on a lighter side...... It all seems bad or maybe that is what I am focusing on. Anyway I have recently started some meds again, I am taking xanax and Zoloft very low dosages, sometimes they feel like they are helping sometimes not. I am thinkink about going through the coaching program as I can not seem to stay with the program on my own..

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 am

I was diagnosed with GAD, 3 years. Was on Cymbalta for a while but went off of it about 6 months ago. The tapes are helping me to realze that its ok if everthing doesnt get done in a day. That I don't have to do 90 mph from store to store because I would feel bad if my errands weren't all done. There is always tomorrow.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:19 pm

I have had GAD since I was about 14 and I'm 34 now. I just started the program yesterday so I'll try and check in and see how it's helping. GAD is different from panic because instead of an "attack" -- it never ends. It's just so constant, even in your sleep. You don't even need to feel anxious to have the symptoms and everything. People don't really know how disabling this can be. I had panic, too and still do at times, but the GAD is so constant I have become sort of used to it. Sad.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Yep I am in this group too. I feel some confusion about it also. How does Sess 2 apply to gad? It is constant and very depressing.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi recovering. I was diagnosed with GAD about 2 year's ago. I got better for about a year, and the GAD came back. That's when I realized I didn't have the necessary tools to conquer it. I'm on week 10 of the program, and I'm doing so well. I'm going places, doing things and living life! I feel apprehension at first, but it goes away and I feel normal.

Stay with the program. Do the homework. Eat right and exercise (especially do the exercise, it helps create endorphins, which combat that anxiety). Write in your journal everyday, and last but not least do the relaxation tapes.

YOU CAN DO THIS! I feel so much better, and began to see improvement about week 4 or 5. GAD is not permanant. You can cure. I'm almost 100% there, and I hope I can give hope to other's that have anxiety.

God bless,

Suz

Dixie1980x

Post by Dixie1980x » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:08 pm

this is my first time hearing of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but its pretty clear to me that i have it. i dont have panic attacks, but im constantly worrying about something. I can never seem to stop thinking. There is NO relaxation in my life. Falling asleep is usually difficult, but staying asleep is even worse because it seems like when im sleeping my mind is even more active. Its just completely out of control. i wake up tired with my head spinning because irrational thoughts were racing through my head all night. its just a constant cycle that i can't break out of. im just looking for some feedback from people who have been diagnosed with this disorder. Do I have GAD?
Jen

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:25 pm

I have just started the program last week. I have not been
diagnosed with GAD but have been struggling with it for
years. I would like to know how I could begin to work
through it. I am also not sure how well this program
is going to work for me. Any suggestions. Thanks

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”