should I take an antideppresant

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
mike2388

Post by mike2388 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 am

I have suffered with depression for over ten years and this program has been amazing and a mircle. I am doing great but I am having tough times. I dislocated my knee three times in the past and had an operation about a year ago, then I was fine. Then my other knee started hurting and realized I needed surgery because I over compensated. But I decided to wait because I started college. Since the school i go to is a big campus and had to do a lot of walking, my knees were hurting really badly through out the year. Then 2 weeks before school was over, I was looking forward to the summer so I could get the surgery on my right knee but while I was just walking I had this terrible shooting pain on the knee I had an operation on. Later on I found out it was basically bone on bone. That means the cartilage from my knees is falling apart and those of you who had knee replacements know what I'm talking about. I AM 19 AND NEED A KNEE REPLACEMENT! That's how bady knee was but they weren't going to do that because I was young and wouldn't really benefit me. After some anxiety for a few week b/c my doctor didn't really know what he could do, he sent me to a second opinion. That doctor said there was anther option and told me about a surgery he could do for me. I was relieved.

My doctor said that depression could affect you and how you heel. I am don't like the idea of anti depressants b/c my parents took me to therapist a fewyears ago and basically forced me to take it, but said no and left and are over used like lucinda said. So should I take them, maybe a mild one. He was talking about zoloft.

Inside Man

Post by Inside Man » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:04 am

mike2388,
It's really your decision to take anti-depressants or not. I take Prozac and Klonopin when needed. I haven't needed to take Klonopin lately. I'm doing a lot better. I'm on Session 12. I would like to take nothing at all and that is one of my goals but for now I'm just glad I have it to help me. I look at it like the program, a tool to use to help me. I agree with Lucinda and you about anti-depressants being over used. But look at it like this, you get a cold and you take something for it, right? Well the same here, you have a problem with stress, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and you use something to help you and when you don't need it anymore you stop taking it. I use my medication the way I'm supposed to and with common sense. I have a brother-in-law that has similar problems with anxiety and I feel like he's abusing the medication. He's told me he has taken 3, 4, 5, 6, Klonopin at one time. I've told him that was too much. You don't need to do that, ever.

When I get overly anxious I take a half of a Klonopin and times, like I said, I don't even take it because instead I use the skills. It's just when I get overly anxious I take it. Well in summary, here is the bottom line, it's your decision, do what is best for you.

Inside Man

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”