Completely New to This

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
j.k789

Post by j.k789 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:07 am

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I am just starting this program. Some of you may think "wow, 19 years old and suffering?" Well, I've been stressed and depressed since I was in 5th grade. I never knew how to explain it to anyone and oftentimes I was ashamed of it. I never have had many friends as I've always been shy, but it got worse. Right now, I really don't associate with anyone, not even the "friends" I had when I graduated high school. I was so nervous and anxious that I did not even go to my graduation. Nor did I go to prom or anything or social function my school had. I was (am) too worried about what people will think of me. It is something that's always on my mind.

I have a painfully realist point of view and no one ever saw eye to eye with it, I've always been more "mature" than the kids my age which has been a huge burden in and of itself. People compliment me on it while I, myself, despise it. I don't want to be more mature, I want to be like the other kids and make a jerk of myself, but I have responsibilities that would shock all of you. The way my family life (because of the economy) is right now, I actually almost had our house put in my name. I almost had my own mortgage at 19. This only burdened me further. I have always been forced to be more mature to cope with life. I rarely had the chance to be a kid.

Long story short, I am 19 and suffering from depression, anxiety and god knows what else. I recently started the program (aka I started it this afternoon). I took the test a couple weeks ago (I scored a 78) after seeing it advertised on t.v. one night when I couldn't sleep, and after that result I decided it was time to do something about it. I have known for a long time that I was depressed but never got off my butt to do anything. I've never had any motivation, always thinking "what's the point anyway?" Well, I'm really hoping this program will do something for me. I really want to live a good life, not the one I have been living shut up in myself.

Sorry for the rant.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:27 am

Well i'd like to say, I really feel you are in the right place. I say this because we have alot of things in common and I've grown alot because of the program.

You'd actually be suprised at how young sufferers of anxiety and depression can be. Like you, I was suffering from anxiety and depression since elementary school (grade 7 actually) and I ended up withdrawing from my friends as well. I was afraid of what others thought of me and of making mistakes. There were so many times i wanted to go and do particular social activities but didn't and felt like crap because of it.

As for the maturity part, life has put me through many difficult situations and there was no choice but to grow up faster. We go through this change in order to survive but we can learn to let loose and make a jerk of ourselves as you put it.

And ya almost putting the mortgage in your name, that is shocking. I can't even imagine the stress in that one.

Mike

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”